Chose St Andrews over Edinburgh

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Worried I’ve made the wrong choice.

Concerned that I might tire of St A really quickly.

I like clubbing and there is Dundee which is like 20 mins away which has proper night clubs.

Do people at St A go to Dundee for nights out a lot? I know people do go out in St A.

I like intense nightlife, think I can still get my fix of it?

Thoughts?
leoq8
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some people go to Dundee from St Andrews, but not that many. Mainly Scottish students who feel the same as yourself, aka me. St Andrews nightlife can be very boring but it's very much what you make of it. There is the student's union which is meh and gets boring fast but it's good if you are with the right people and drunk enough imo lol. There is also loads of pubs in St Andrews and a lot of balls and other events, including techno, discos, dances etc. Dundee is also a very good night out, been a few times and the students there are easier to get along with compared to those in St Andrews if you are Scottish. The bus is cheap and there is a night bus back, the drink is also cheaper in their union too.

I was set on Strathclyde for a long time primarily because living in Glasgow was appealing to me; especially due to the nightlife. I chose St Andrews and whist the nightlife situation was a drawback, it is not as bad as you think. It is bad, but it's not terrible and it can be fun if you make it fun. There is plenty of house parties and sports clubs have really good drinking events if that's your thing. I am the same as you and I do like a good night out especially night clubs, but you'll manage in St Andrews. I don't regret choosing St Andrews at all and I think you made the right call choosing St Andrews over Edinburgh!
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You’ll get a better nightlife in Edinburgh if I’m honest
Aabb123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by leoq8)
Some people go to Dundee from St Andrews, but not that many. Mainly Scottish students who feel the same as yourself, aka me. St Andrews nightlife can be very boring but it's very much what you make of it. There is the student's union which is meh and gets boring fast but it's good if you are with the right people and drunk enough imo lol. There is also loads of pubs in St Andrews and a lot of balls and other events, including techno, discos, dances etc. Dundee is also a very good night out, been a few times and the students there are easier to get along with compared to those in St Andrews if you are Scottish. The bus is cheap and there is a night bus back, the drink is also cheaper in their union too.

I was set on Strathclyde for a long time primarily because living in Glasgow was appealing to me; especially due to the nightlife. I chose St Andrews and whist the nightlife situation was a drawback, it is not as bad as you think. It is bad, but it's not terrible and it can be fun if you make it fun. There is plenty of house parties and sports clubs have really good drinking events if that's your thing. I am the same as you and I do like a good night out especially night clubs, but you'll manage in St Andrews. I don't regret choosing St Andrews at all and I think you made the right call choosing St Andrews over Edinburgh!
This was really helpful, thank you
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
The nightlife is better in Edinburgh but St. A’s has wayyyyy higher student satisfaction. Never met anyone who wasn’t totally in love with it and there is much more to uni than just partying. It’s a probably better uni imo and there are still a lot of parties etc. - just not in clubs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.48%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.52%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.83%
I need help with my personal statement (60)
41.38%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
24.83%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.07%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.9%

Watched Threads