The Student Room Group

how to become a detective 2020

Hi, I'm in year 10 and I've been looking online for possible career paths in the future, after two years I think I've found it:detective! I've always been interested in true crime and never wanted a boring job. However, i was wondering how to do that,I've tried to do my research and in 2017 the MET changed their recruiting policies and they've made it possible for people to become a detective without being a police officer( not discrediting police officers, they are very important and extremely valued).
Unfortunately all the threads on this website, from what I saw, were from like 9 years ago and certain things have changed since, I was wondering if anyone knew how to become a detective? thanks x
Get a degree in a subject like Computer science, mathematics, cirminology, chemistry, Physics, Engineering etc. I am not sure about arts subjects but I think a foreign language or law degree would be very helpful. Knowing other languages will definitely be a bonus anywhere you go so doing more Language GCSE subjects will help.

At A level I would advise you to take subjects like Maths, Physics and maybe another humanity. And people who are recruited by MI5 go to Cambridge or Oxford, so the better the University, the better your chances of being a detective are. But you want to be a detective not a spy... hmmm...

You could be a private detective but this is a start, getting good grades and a good degree in a god subject from a good university really helps
Reply 2
Original post by ClayJensen817
Get a degree in a subject like Computer science, mathematics, cirminology, chemistry, Physics, Engineering etc. I am not sure about arts subjects but I think a foreign language or law degree would be very helpful. Knowing other languages will definitely be a bonus anywhere you go so doing more Language GCSE subjects will help.

At A level I would advise you to take subjects like Maths, Physics and maybe another humanity. And people who are recruited by MI5 go to Cambridge or Oxford, so the better the University, the better your chances of being a detective are. But you want to be a detective not a spy... hmmm...

You could be a private detective but this is a start, getting good grades and a good degree in a god subject from a good university really helps

thank you so much i really appreciate this, this is actually very helpful x
Original post by sushi135
thank you so much i really appreciate this, this is actually very helpful x

Hahaha dont worry lol. My 8 year old sister wants to be a detective too. Everyone at her school call her that cause she is good at finding stuff people lose. So I tried doing some research.

But in short aim for science A levels and a science degree. Physics, Engineering, Computer science, Maths, Chemistry and Bio help a lot! Try doing language GCSE subjects and please do not do an art degree. A detective must know how much force should be applied to a particular object etc. and thats science-y stuff.

Good luck! And work hard!
Reply 4
Original post by ClayJensen817
Hahaha dont worry lol. My 8 year old sister wants to be a detective too. Everyone at her school call her that cause she is good at finding stuff people lose. So I tried doing some research.

But in short aim for science A levels and a science degree. Physics, Engineering, Computer science, Maths, Chemistry and Bio help a lot! Try doing language GCSE subjects and please do not do an art degree. A detective must know how much force should be applied to a particular object etc. and thats science-y stuff.

Good luck! And work hard!

thank you and good luck to your sister, she sounds adorable
Original post by sushi135
thank you and good luck to your sister, she sounds adorable

haha. Thanks lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending