The Student Room Group
I'm also interested about this.
Original post by milliejayne19
How would I write about free online courses that I've done to explore my subject beyond the a level curriculum in a personal statement?

The same way you write about reading or lectures you’ve attended. Talk about what you found interesting/difficult/surprising. Basically reflect on the course content and which topics or areas were memorable to you
Reply 3
Talk about why you did them, what you got out of them and how you plan to build on it/what value it has added to you.

I helped a student do this with his personal statement earlier this year when he was applying for business. He’d done one on introduction to data science based on his work experience in business that was very data driven. On the basis of enjoying this and gaining some skills he planned to do another one on his gap year at a higher level in order to maintain his skills in this area for his degree and beyond, basically demonstrating his awareness of the degree subject and commitment to both self improvement and to his subject.

You’re not doing it just to show off, or at least you shouldn’t be. You’re doing it to expand your knowledge of a subject beyond the A level curriculum and to potentially gain some additional skills that will aid you in your future study. Think about what they’re looking for on your course and link it to that. If you’re doing a history degree, for instance, they’re looking for people who are hungry for knowledge and learning and who’ll go beyond the curriculum to get it. For computer science, they would looking for evidence that a person has sought opportunities to expand their skills, maybe learning a new programming language and (if they’d studied at A level) to reflect on the differences between the new one and the one they used in their A level/previous study, which is (supposedly) part of that sort of degree.

Whatever you do, don’t just list the courses you’ve done and leave it at that. Remember that you’re applying for a selective course and you’re demonstrating how you meet the criteria for entry in your personal statement.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
The same way you write about reading or lectures you’ve attended. Talk about what you found interesting/difficult/surprising. Basically reflect on the course content and which topics or areas were memorable to you

Can you mention it alongside academic achievements rather than with lectures?
Original post by JTDunks
Can you mention it alongside academic achievements rather than with lectures?

What sort of academic achievements?
Those should normally be in your reference not your PS. It’s an essay about your academic interests and motivation to study your chosen degree - it isn’t a list of achievements.
Original post by milliejayne19
How would I write about free online courses that I've done to explore my subject beyond the a level curriculum in a personal statement?

Just write about them as you would any other experience. Universities are interested in everything you've done around your subject as well as what you've actually achieved on the course in your school. So my advice is to just write what those online courses did for your academic practice and interests; how did those courses supplement your learning. Do you do anything else outside of academic practice for your chosen course? Those kinds of additional things boost your personal statement's colour and flavour.

Hope this helps,
Dom
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Just write about them as you would any other experience. Universities are interested in everything you've done around your subject as well as what you've actually achieved on the course in your school. So my advice is to just write what those online courses did for your academic practice and interests; how did those courses supplement your learning. Do you do anything else outside of academic practice for your chosen course? Those kinds of additional things boost your personal statement's colour and flavour.

Hope this helps,
Dom

Just to note that this was an old thread that was bumped. :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
What sort of academic achievements?
Those should normally be in your reference not your PS. It’s an essay about your academic interests and motivation to study your chosen degree - it isn’t a list of achievements.

Oh, so rather than talking about online courses in my academic achievements, I should just talk about for example in my case, talk about the three a levels I've chosen, but some of my friends are going to talk about things like the physics olympiad and maths challenge, two things I was unable attend, so is it okay to not need to talk about things like that or rather should I try to do similar activities over summer so that I too may be able to talk about that in my academic achievement
Original post by JTDunks
Oh, so rather than talking about online courses in my academic achievements, I should just talk about for example in my case, talk about the three a levels I've chosen, but some of my friends are going to talk about things like the physics olympiad and maths challenge, two things I was unable attend, so is it okay to not need to talk about things like that or rather should I try to do similar activities over summer so that I too may be able to talk about that in my academic achievement

Hi there

Current Cardiff Uni student here!

For reference, I got offers from all the Russel Group universities that I applied to so I hope that I can give you some valuable insight into writing a personal statement. I was advised to include anything that demonstrated additional interest or effort, beyond the curriculum, in my chosen course. For instance, I discussed what relevant magazines or books I enjoyed, additional courses, and relevant skills.

For me, a personal statement is an opportunity to demonstrate your interest and passion for your subject, and what made you choose the specific area that you want to study.

I hope this helps - please feel free to ask any more questions:smile:

Jaz - Cardiff Student Rep
Original post by JTDunks

Talking about your choice of A levels is also pointless. Your PS should be about your specific academic interests. Topics you've enjoyed, things you found difficult at first but put extra work/reading into to understand better, topics you're looking forward to studying in more detail in your degree....for both your current studies and any online courses you've done.

Your PS is an essay about your academic interests and motivations to study your chosen degree.
As above, guff about your AL subjects will just be ignored. Nearly everyone applying could say the same.
Reply 12
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there

Current Cardiff Uni student here!

For reference, I got offers from all the Russel Group universities that I applied to so I hope that I can give you some valuable insight into writing a personal statement. I was advised to include anything that demonstrated additional interest or effort, beyond the curriculum, in my chosen course. For instance, I discussed what relevant magazines or books I enjoyed, additional courses, and relevant skills.

For me, a personal statement is an opportunity to demonstrate your interest and passion for your subject, and what made you choose the specific area that you want to study.

I hope this helps - please feel free to ask any more questions:smile:

Jaz - Cardiff Student Rep

Original post by PQ
Talking about your choice of A levels is also pointless. Your PS should be about your specific academic interests. Topics you've enjoyed, things you found difficult at first but put extra work/reading into to understand better, topics you're looking forward to studying in more detail in your degree....for both your current studies and any online courses you've done.

Your PS is an essay about your academic interests and motivations to study your chosen degree.

Original post by Admit-One
As above, guff about your AL subjects will just be ignored. Nearly everyone applying could say the same.

Thank you guys, I just worried a bit since from what I heard students in my year were putting details about their predicted grades and skills they acquired from their a levels (unless that's valid still), and our school had someone from queen Mary come in and tell us about how to write our PS, showing us that it should be split into an introduction, academic achievement, work/voluntary/employment, extracurricular and conclusion, so I was uncertain on how I would write about particular academic achievements, though now from what I gathered I should talk about things like reading books or listening to podcasts or videos related to the course I want to take in the academic section, though I wonder if the PS should be split as such, do you think it's a good idea to split it as such?
Furthermore I have one last question, how would you structure each paragraph as from what I've read, from websites like the imperial page under the aeronautical department they talked about writing it in the format of PEE or/and STAR, what would you recommend?
(edited 8 months ago)
In my personal statement, I did an introduction sentence as its own paragraph, another introduction paragraph, a paragraph on academic-related competitions, a paragraph on my favourite books (which were related to the subject I applied for), a paragraph on extra-curricular activities, and a conclusion paragraph. Even though I did two weeks of work experience, I did not mention either one. Other than the introduction and conclusion, the order of the paragraphs doesn't really matter. I am not sure what to do if you don't like any books related to the subject you are applying for.
In the introduction and conclusion, try to make the sentences flow together as much as you can.
In the other paragraphs, write one sentence explaining what skills a competition/book/activity taught you, and another sentence saying something related you are looking forward to at university. Repeat these two sentences for each competition/book/activity in the paragraph. That being said, the format doesn't have to be strictly followed.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
In my personal statement, I did an introduction sentence as its own paragraph, another introduction paragraph, a paragraph on academic-related competitions, a paragraph on my favourite books (which were related to the subject I applied for), a paragraph on extra-curricular activities, and a conclusion paragraph. Even though I did two weeks of work experience, I did not mention either one. Other than the introduction and conclusion, the order of the paragraphs doesn't really matter. I am not sure what to do if you don't like any books related to the subject you are applying for.
In the introduction and conclusion, try to make the sentences flow together as much as you can.
In the other paragraphs, write one sentence explaining what skills a competition/book/activity taught you, and another sentence saying something related you are looking forward to at university. Repeat these two sentences for each competition/book/activity in the paragraph. That being said, the format doesn't have to be strictly followed.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

Okay, I'm pretty certain on how to write my personal statement now, just gotta go to more events, lectures and museums now to become more credited, thank you all

Latest

Trending

Trending