Poll: Which unit are you most looking forward to in Advanced Higher Chemistry?
Inorganic Chemistry (4)
18.18%
Physical Chemistry (8)
36.36%
Organic Chemistry (10)
45.45%
Researching Chemistry (0)
0%
oliver coutts
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thought I’d start a forum for those taking Advanced Higher Chemistry and doing their exam in 2021 as many of you may be starting 6th year soon. How is everyone feeling about the course, any future aspirations? Has anyone started to prepare during lockdown?
nicolebarbara
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by oliver coutts)
Thought I’d start a forum for those taking Advanced Higher Chemistry and doing their exam in 2021 as many of you may be starting 6th year soon. How is everyone feeling about the course, any future aspirations? Has anyone started to prepare during lockdown?
I’ve made a list of everything in the course spec and just read through some notes my teacher sent me. It looks pretty chill apart from the project (which looks horrific) as like a chunk of the first unit is just the stuff we did at the end of higher physics. Also, I really need AH Chemistry as I’m applying for medicine this year.
oliver coutts
Rep:
?
(Original post by nicolebarbara)
I’ve made a list of everything in the course spec and just read through some notes my teacher sent me. It looks pretty chill apart from the project (which looks horrific) as like a chunk of the first unit is just the stuff we did at the end of higher physics. Also, I really need AH Chemistry as I’m applying for medicine this year😎.
My teacher said organic chemistry was the hardest in her opinion but I’m not sure. Inorganic looked the most difficult to me (haven’t taken physics since s2 yikes) and physical looked alright, just loads of calculations. I’m looking forward to it tho. How did you find Higher Chemistry this past year?
nicolebarbara
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My teacher said organic chemistry was the hardest in her opinion but I’m not sure. Inorganic looked the most difficult to me (haven’t taken physics since s2 yikes) and physical looked alright, just loads of calculations. I’m looking forward to it tho. How did you find Higher Chemistry this past year?
I found higher chem fine apart from our prelim where I only scraped an A due to personal reasons but I worked my ass off to redeem myself the rest of the year. How did you find it? Easier than biology? I preferred chemistry cos I’m more of a maths gal and those calculations felt like a blessing
chubchubbs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'ma just vibing and waiting for AH Chemistry bright red book to be published and start reading that!
Also waiting on seeing what my school will do
oliver coutts
Rep:
?
(Original post by chubchubbs)
I'ma just vibing and waiting for AH Chemistry bright red book to be published and start reading that!
Also waiting on seeing what my school will do
I just bought the 2015 version cos I don’t think much has changed and I’m not sure how quick they will publish the new edition given the current situation. My school said they’re going to give us AH google classroom codes over the next few weeks but i’m not sure
oliver coutts
Rep:
?
(Original post by nicolebarbara)
I found higher chem fine apart from our prelim where I only scraped an A due to personal reasons but I worked my ass off to redeem myself the rest of the year. How did you find it? Easier than biology? I preferred chemistry cos I’m more of a maths gal and those calculations felt like a blessing
i personally found unit 1 and 2 fairly easy, unit 3 was a lot harder and actual past paper questions were sometimes really difficult, idk i think i find biology more interesting yet chemistry often forms the basis for a lot of bio so i kind of need it. i love both in their own ways
Valeriex
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had a quick glance over the specification, and I've always loved the Nature's Chemistry unit as it is a bit more 'creative' and in Advanced higher I think that they have changed the name of that unit to organic chemistry so I'm looking forward to that. We are meant to be starting some sort of work this week, but i don't think they will be doing too much until June.
oliver coutts
Rep:
?
(Original post by Valeriex)
I had a quick glance over the specification, and I've always loved the Nature's Chemistry unit as it is a bit more 'creative' and in Advanced higher I think that they have changed the name of that unit to organic chemistry so I'm looking forward to that. We are meant to be starting some sort of work this week, but i don't think they will be doing too much until June.
Yes I'm the same, I found Chemistry in Society fairly hard whereas Nature's Chemistry so interesting as it was just learning about the chemistry behind simple daily life things. We're supposed to be starting in a few weeks, I've started making some quizlets though as I've been really bored the past few weeks as not many of my teachers have set any work.
oliver coutts
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Name:  9D2573D3-7A25-4226-8BFF-90F38BE94925.jpeg
Views: 109
Size:  29.0 KB
Can someone please explain part ii to me. The answer says something about a racemic mixture forming, but I’m not sure how that could happen because the tautomer of the ketone shown can’t also be its enantiomer, or can it?? help needed!
IbeIC123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Name:  9D2573D3-7A25-4226-8BFF-90F38BE94925.jpeg
Views: 109
Size:  29.0 KB
Can someone please explain part ii to me. The answer says something about a racemic mixture forming, but I’m not sure how that could happen because the tautomer of the ketone shown can’t also be its enantiomer, or can it?? help needed!
I think it’s because the tautomer converts back to the 3-methylpentane-2-one as equilibrium suggests a reversible reaction so the both Enantiomers of 3-methylpentan-2-one are produced so a racemic mixture will start to form. Basically one enantiomer is present so the solution is optically active and its converted to an enol which is converted back to both enantiomers in Equal amounts to produce a racemic mixture making it optically inactive. tautomers are just structural isomers that are in a reversible reaction I think and the enol contains different functional groups than the ketone in the question so they’re not enantiomers
Amy-Mo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Does anyone know of any good texts books for adv, I'm struggling to find any on amazon?
_simba_1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi, I’m taking advanced higher this year! I am hoping to apply to veterinary medicine
oliver coutts
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I’m using the BrightRed textbook however I don’t think you can get it on amazon. It’s been great so far!
crazydog12
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Can anyone explain how to do question 10 from the multiple choice section of the 2012 past paper? It's about equilibrium constant...
Hippopocrates
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Hippopocrates)
Attachment 971774
Can someone please explain to me how to do this question!
Lol never mind literally figured it out just after I posted this🤭
Katelouisa
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Amy-Mo)
Does anyone know of any good texts books for adv, I'm struggling to find any on amazon?
Hey, I did advanced higher 2 years ago, so not sure how helpful I am, but I found the bright red book really helpful for examples and getting my head around stuff! Then the scholar notes are also really good, especially for practise questions!
SCHOLARuk
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thanks for the recommendation Katelouisa
zainabxamin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
im so stressed!! im starting my advanced chemistry now (december) as i had no teacher
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by zainabxamin)
im so stressed!! im starting my advanced chemistry now (december) as i had no teacher
:eek: Definitely going to be a challenge ahead but just be doing your best! Make sure you're spending extra time on it, take yourself through parts of the course so that you've already started covering it. With the exams being cancelled, I don't know what the SQA will say in terms of what's happening with projects etc. but if those are still happening, get started on it as soon as you can (and get it done and out of the way!) and don't overcomplicate it more than you need to. Best of luck! :rave:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (129)
34.96%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (49)
13.28%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (22)
5.96%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (36)
9.76%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (49)
13.28%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (43)
11.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (41)
11.11%

Watched Threads