The Student Room Group

Paramedic career / College / A levels

I am just wondering if anyone if going down the career of being a paramedic as I am wanting to know the best way to go from high school like do I do a levels or a college course also if anyway has any information about paramedic sciene at Univ can u please inform me
Original post by EthanSPR
I am just wondering if anyone if going down the career of being a paramedic as I am wanting to know the best way to go from high school like do I do a levels or a college course also if anyway has any information about paramedic sciene at Univ can u please inform me

You need A Levels, and preferably one in a science subject. You'll also need to get your car driving licence and get a lot of work experience.
Original post by BlueLightDriver
You need A Levels, and preferably one in a science subject. You'll also need to get your car driving licence and get a lot of work experience.

You don’t always need a levels, you can do a level 3 BTEC! :smile:
Reply 3
@Hazelly Thankyou for that what BTECs would u advise ?
@Hazelly Thankyou for that what BTECs would u advise ?

The main two would be Applied science or Health and Social Care. I’m doing HSC and focused on becoming a nurse, I know a lot of people doing HSC who are wanting to become a paramedic :smile:
Original post by Hazelly
The main two would be Applied science or Health and Social Care. I’m doing HSC and focused on becoming a nurse, I know a lot of people doing HSC who are wanting to become a paramedic :smile:

I would add anyone that suggests BTEC public services is a good idea is missleading you.
Original post by glassalice
I would add anyone that suggests BTEC public services is a good idea is missleading you.

Very much so..
Reply 7
Thankyou yo the both of u I got told but I will definitely not and what would u say about the a levels with HSC would that still apply @Hazelly
Thankyou yo the both of u I got told but I will definitely not and what would u say about the a levels with HSC would that still apply @Hazelly

What do you mean? As in doing a levels alongside HSC?
Reply 9
@Hazellydo u think doing the A level of HSC along with Biology and Psychology is a good idea?
@Hazellydo u think doing the A level of HSC along with Biology and Psychology is a good idea?

You will need to look on UCAS to see whether these are accepted.

Also, Health and Social Care is a BTEC and I’m talking of the extended diploma which is equivalent to three a levels so you will not be able to study Biology or Psychology. However, I know someone in my group who is doing HSC as well as a single a level in Psychology. There are other BTECs for Health and Social Care such as the national diploma which is equivalent to one a level so you can do two other a levels; but you will need to see whether your college / sixth form accepts this.
Reply 11
@Hazelly the website is clear to me however things could change as I have a while to go yet to my career but I just wanted to the best options as it says from the website of successatschool.org (is the a trustful resource?)

You could do a full-time course at university, and then apply to the ambulance service as a qualified paramedic.

The qualifications needed to be a paramedic are either a diploma, foundation degree or degree in paramedic science or paramedic practice. To apply for the course you’ll need a full driving license; three A-levels, including a science; and five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including English language, maths and Sciene

However the other option is for a student paramedic...

Here's how to become a paramedic without going to university: apply directly to the ambulance service as a trainee paramedic (known as Student Paramedic), and study while you work. You will usually need at least five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including English, maths and science. You will also need two years’ driving experience and a good level of physical fitness.

So which option would u think is better and if I do take a levels are they a good choice ??
@Hazelly the website is clear to me however things could change as I have a while to go yet to my career but I just wanted to the best options as it says from the website of successatschool.org (is the a trustful resource?)

You could do a full-time course at university, and then apply to the ambulance service as a qualified paramedic.

The qualifications needed to be a paramedic are either a diploma, foundation degree or degree in paramedic science or paramedic practice. To apply for the course you’ll need a full driving license; three A-levels, including a science; and five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including English language, maths and Sciene

However the other option is for a student paramedic...

Here's how to become a paramedic without going to university: apply directly to the ambulance service as a trainee paramedic (known as Student Paramedic), and study while you work. You will usually need at least five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including English, maths and science. You will also need two years’ driving experience and a good level of physical fitness.

So which option would u think is better and if I do take a levels are they a good choice ??

I would suggest going to university and studying Paramedic Science, I'm not sure how many people actually go down the other route of not going to university.

Also, I haven't heard of that website before but I usually use:
- UCAS
-WhatUni
-Royal College of Nursing
-HCPC
-Health careers (This is a good one to look at)

Hope this helps?
Reply 13
Honestly most of the time if you've got good work experience they'll take you even if you don't have all the graded needed. I did an health science access course to get on but I know people who did A levels who both got what they needed and didn't. The hardest part, the interview process having work experience makes you stand out however they'll look at your personality as well. Go for it and if you have to go the long way round so be it, i did A levels and failed them but i got there in the end :smile:
Opinions on this please? If you go to university to study paramedic science, sure you will come out with the degree you need after 3 years and 6 months down the line you will have secured a job but you will be massively in debt. However, taking an apprenticeship you will study while working and be payed. Why go to uni when you can have the option of being paid and getting the job sooner. Would u not only go to uni if you actually need the degree like becoming a diener(someone who works in a morgue) as they would actually need a degree.
The paramedic apprenticeships are extremely competitive and they only take a few people every year (usually with work experience) so unless you were part of the st John's cadets you most likely won't get a place
Original post by Lauren073
The paramedic apprenticeships are extremely competitive and they only take a few people every year (usually with work experience) so unless you were part of the st John's cadets you most likely won't get a place

Just no. Most people do not go into the ambulance service from St John's - I know one out of hundreds who did.
Original post by BlueLightDriver
You need A Levels, and preferably one in a science subject. You'll also need to get your car driving licence and get a lot of work experience

Does psychology and or maths count as a science?

Quick Reply

Latest