Why are we concerned about Corona and not HIV/AIDS?

Watch
Chdy gung
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Why now days people they are not afraid with Hiv/Aids but the afraid at corona and froghet Hiv/Aids that is still a live and has no treatment too??
Last edited by Obolinda; 8 months ago
SnowMiku
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
COVID-19 has become a massive media sensation and gets far more coverage - could be a reason why. Plus, HIV can be treated, while only the symptoms of COVID can be.
Not to mention that the new coronavirus is a pandemic. Ergo, just comes down to hype and knowing a little less about it.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I've moved your thread to a more relevant section
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Do some research and tell us what you find.
999tigger
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Chdy gung)
Why now days people they are not afraid with Hiv/Aids but the afraid at corona and froghet Hiv/Aids that is still a live and has no treatment too??
Because the transmission of aids is known and it is not as virulent.
The effects are not as immediate plus we have treatments for it.
We also have a test for it and an individual can ensure they do not catch it through behaviour.

You opened a new account just to post this. why?
----_----
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Many reasons
Firstly, who it affects - HIV/AIDS is most prominent in the gay and bi male community as well as in black communities. Already marginalised communities tend to be ignored. Other people dismiss it as something they simply wont get
HIV is transmitted through sex and sometimes sharing of needles. This stigmatises it further as many see it as "your fault" for getting it while corona is spread through day to day, "innocent" human contact. People will get it without doing risky activities like unprotected sex, If you dont put yourself in that danger, you probably wont get it
We're no longer at the peak of the HIV/AIDS epidemic
Most people in the developed world have access to treatment for HIV. Within 6 months almost everyone on that treatment is undetectable and therefore transmissible. They can no longer pass it on, unless they stop treatment.
Also transmission rates for HIV are much lower, even if you do engage in risky sexual activity you might not get it
Theres more ways to prevent hiv, condoms and PrEP treatment
----_----
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Also people on this thread are being pretty rude. HIV has never gotten the new coverage it deserved and is so heavily stigmatised. The treatment isnt an easy or "soft" treatment and is something you need to take every single day for the rest of your life. Left untreated it kills.
HIV has always been dismissed as something that you get through fault of your own but life isnt that simple. I do think people should be more wary of HIV because one bad decision is enough to infect you. Its a life long health condition and although not a death sentence, its not an easy diagnosis to receive x
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 8 months ago
HIV has very effective treatment which effectively prevents it progressing to AIDs. The side effects of modern HIV meds are much better than the old ones too. It has shifted it into a chronic illness.

Very rarely do we have people dying of AIDs in the UK nowadays.
Jamie
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ----_----)
Also people on this thread are being pretty rude. HIV has never gotten the new coverage it deserved and is so heavily stigmatised. The treatment isnt an easy or "soft" treatment and is something you need to take every single day for the rest of your life. Left untreated it kills.
HIV has always been dismissed as something that you get through fault of your own but life isnt that simple. I do think people should be more wary of HIV because one bad decision is enough to infect you. Its a life long health condition and although not a death sentence, its not an easy diagnosis to receive x
"HIV has never gotten the news coverage it deserved"

Spoken like someone born this side of 2000...

HIV has had LOTS of news coverage for many years...much of it before you were born I imagine.
Hellohsjakodsmka
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
*forget
----_----
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Jamie)

HIV has had LOTS of news coverage for many years...much of it before you were born I imagine.
It was heavily stigmatised news coverage.
Very few topics get the news coverage they deserve, its almost always very biased and uninformative. You could, and I would, argue even coronavirus hasnt gotten a fair news coverage but Id definitely say its been more just than HIV, especially in the early days of HIV
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You can catch COVID from shaking hands, touching a dirty doorknob or having someone infected cough in the same room

The number of COVID cases in a community doubles in less than a week if you don't do a lockdown... This doesn't mean the number of cases doubles and then it stops. it means it doubles and then doubles again and then doubles again and then doubles again and then doubles again... and in a month it's an emergency that's out of control

new cases of AIDS are on the way down around the world and have been for years - but you should still try not to catch it
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Jamie)

Massive campaigns scaring the crap out of people...

Which is partly why the number of new cases is now going down everywhere
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It's much easier to avoid catching HIV than Covid 19. And Covid kills within days to weeks, whereas if you are on suppressive therapy for HIV, you won't go on to develop AIDS and you can live a relatively normal life with a normal life expectancy.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
HIV has never gotten the new coverage it deserved and is so heavily stigmatised. The treatment isnt an easy or "soft" treatment and is something you need to take every single day for the rest of your life. Left untreated it kills.
It's,perhaps, on it's way to being curable:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51804454
Last edited by Drewski; 8 months ago
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
HIV only spreads through sexual contact, right? COVID-19 has got an incredibly strong transmission rate and can eaisly be transmitted. Boom
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It was heavily stigmatised news coverage.
Very few topics get the news coverage they deserve, its almost always very biased and uninformative. You could, and I would, argue even coronavirus hasnt gotten a fair news coverage but Id definitely say its been more just than HIV, especially in the early days of HIV
You are being disingenuous. These are just some of the U.K. prime-time television and cinema videos that went out everyday for years through the 80's and 90's:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...F+AIDS+adverts

BBC report:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15886670

Tom Hanks Oscar winning movie:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107818/

BBC documantary:

Last edited by uberteknik; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.81%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.19%

Watched Threads