What qualifications do you need to be a Medical Laboratory Assistant

Watch
Becky2305
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
As the title says. It says GCSE and up to NVQ Level 3 Equivalent (A-Levels?) I already have a degree, but it isn't a science related one, nor do i have any science A-Levels... but I want to change career path and go into this type of field.

I fulfil all the other requirements, but I don't know if a background in science is necessary?
Last edited by Becky2305; 1 year ago
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There might be some funding issues for an apprenticeship if you already have a degree.

As for qualifications, relevant experience or studies may help, but you only need to demonstrate strong interest for the subject and transferable interpersonal skills at entry level.

My suggestion would be to reach out to Cogent Skills if there’s no relevant thread on TSR. They’re the apprenticeship provider for a lot of lab based apprenticeship employers.
dumpling_eater
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Becky2305)
As the title says. It says GCSE and up to NVQ Level 3 Equivalent (A-Levels?) I already have a degree, but it isn't a science related one, nor do i have any science A-Levels... but I want to change career path and go into this type of field.

I fulfil all the other requirements, but I don't know if a background in science is necessary?
According to this website, there aren't any formal entry requirements for medical lab assistants but some hospitals may require certain qualifications. The site also recommends having at least four GCSE's/S grades (A-C/1-3) in English, maths and science, or equivalent qualifications such as a BTEC First Diploma in Applied Science.

For example, this job posting by Covance (a pharmaceutical company) says that no formal education or experience is required as it is an entry-level role for those interested in starting a career in science, particularly those looking to move into the science industry after A-levels or those actively trying to change the industry they're working in (such as yourself).

Some job postings, however, may require you have some understanding of Biomedical Science knowledge such as this one by NHS Education for Scotland.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.28%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.56%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.57%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.33%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (59)
27.31%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.39%

Watched Threads