The Student Room Group

Advice for a third class physics graduate

Hello!

I’m wondering whether I could get some advice.

Much to my disappointment, I graduated with a third class physics degree in 2011. Frustratingly, I totalled up my marks and found that I was a few percent away from a 2:2. I failed one exam, scored 40% or over in the rest of my exams, and achieved a solid 2:1 for my dissertation.

During my degree, my father was diagnosed with cancer, and separate to this, my mother suffered from very severe stress and anxiety. However, I was only faintly aware of the possibility that I could have declared extenuating circumstances at the time. I just decided to tough it out, do what I could manage, and get out as soon as possible. In retrospect I absolutely would have informed them of my situation. But hindsight’s 20/20 as they say.

Despite my low-tier academic performance in my second (2:2) and third (3rd) years, I actually did fairly well in my first year; I achieved a first and was awarded a scholarship on this basis.

Since graduating I’ve worked in a dead end, low-paid job, although the experience has been quite valuable. But now, I’m keen to return to university to study for a master’s degree.

The options I currently have in mind are Data Science and Audio Production (I have a background in music), although I’m quite open to other possibilities.

My biggest concern is whether I’d be able to get into somewhere worthwhile with my degree classification.

Does anyone have any advice? I’m really out of the loop when it comes to university nowadays, so if anyone could enlighten me on how I might be able to navigate the admissions process, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by darkenedpatterns
Hello!

I’m wondering whether I could get some advice.

Much to my disappointment, I graduated with a third class physics degree in 2011. Frustratingly, I totalled up my marks and found that I was a few percent away from a 2:2. I failed one exam, scored 40% or over in the rest of my exams, and achieved a solid 2:1 for my dissertation.

During my degree, my father was diagnosed with cancer, and separate to this, my mother suffered from very severe stress and anxiety. However, I was only faintly aware of the possibility that I could have declared extenuating circumstances at the time. I just decided to tough it out, do what I could manage, and get out as soon as possible. In retrospect I absolutely would have informed them of my situation. But hindsight’s 20/20 as they say.

Despite my low-tier academic performance in my second (2:2) and third (3rd) years, I actually did fairly well in my first year; I achieved a first and was awarded a scholarship on this basis.

Since graduating I’ve worked in a dead end, low-paid job, although the experience has been quite valuable. But now, I’m keen to return to university to study for a master’s degree.

The options I currently have in mind are Data Science and Audio Production (I have a background in music), although I’m quite open to other possibilities.

My biggest concern is whether I’d be able to get into somewhere worthwhile with my degree classification.

Does anyone have any advice? I’m really out of the loop when it comes to university nowadays, so if anyone could enlighten me on how I might be able to navigate the admissions process, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Best to just start emailing the admissions teams at institutions with courses you like the sound of. Being brutally honest, I expect this to be a pretty tough sell, but you never know, so begin by searching for the PG or MSc admissions pages of the universities / courses you want, google usually nails that. PG admissions is direct to the university, there is no PG equivalent of UCAS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending