classical tunes wot I like

Watch
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Yo I think I'm going to share some pieces I find nice. Might be handy if you're wanting to get more into this kind of thing. Or if you just need something to revise to that isn't lofi beats.

Going to start things off with my favourite piece for the classical guitar (expect a fair bit of this instrument), Benga Beat by Gary Ryan.

Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Alright some orchestral stuff now.
La Valse by Ravel

Sinnoh
Rep:
?
This is one I very like. Have revised to it quite a few times; Dvořák's string quartet no. 12, "American".

Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Here's one that I'd love to play myself... in many years. Once I figure out how to not get cramps while doing tremolo.
Sueno en la Floresta by Agustin Barrios
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Ok now back to full orchestra. This one is a real hair-standing-on-end piece, Shostakovich's 11th symphony.

Sinnoh
Rep:
?
I hope I'm not burning through my favourites too quickly.
This is an especially good performance though.

perspecci
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I've recently been discovering Bruckner's choral works and some Sibelius symphonies (no. 5 is amazing). I've also been getting into some atonal/serialist compositions, despite having completely dismissed them before. Quarantine is definitely a great time for discovering new music.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
(Original post by perspecci)
I've recently been discovering Bruckner's choral works and some Sibelius symphonies (no. 5 is amazing). I've also been getting into some atonal/serialist compositions, despite having completely dismissed them before. Quarantine is definitely a great time for discovering new music.
Yeah I really should listen to more Sibelius, so far it's just been the violin concerto and the 7th symphony
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Haven't had a piano piece yet. Going to change that with Arabesque no. 1.

Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Now back to some guitar. This one is an absolute beast. It's the Gigue from Bach's first Lute Suite. The lute suites are good revision music.

Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Here's the one piece by Schubert that I intentionally listen to: Impromptu no. 3. And specifically this version.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Alright I've got an exam for 17.5% of my first year in ten minutes but I think there's time to give this one another update.
Here's one I'm planning on listening to. Probably in the top 5 musical things that have ever existed: Bach's Mass in B minor.

Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Whoops bit late.
Here's a guitar concerto. It is good. Especially the 2nd mvt.

(Villa-Lobos Concerto for Guitar and Small Orchestra)
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Did I tell you I like guitar yet
Here's another violin concerto except it's arranged for one guitar. Pretty sweet. The guitar adds a bit of spiciness to the piece - Csardas by Vittorio Monti

The fact that the arranger himself is making some mistakes doesn't fill me with hope towards someday learning this.
K-Man_PhysCheM
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Nice thread! I hadn't really come across much classical guitar music so I'll give these a listen this evening!

Bach B minor mass is always a winner! His St John and St Matthew Passions are also absolute epics, some of my favourite pieces!! Do check out the Netherlands Bach Society on YouTube: they are posting some really high-quality recordings and videos of Bach's works, with the aim to upload all of them eventually! For example, here's one of their exquisite recordings of the opening chorus form Bach's St John Passion (there's another video with the full thing that you can easily find on YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyeOPfg_6FE

Last edited by K-Man_PhysCheM; 6 months ago
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
(Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM)
Nice thread! I hadn't really come across much classical guitar music so I'll give these a listen this evening!

Bach B minor mass is always a winner! His St John and St Matthew Passions are also absolute epics, some of my favourite pieces!! Do check out the Netherlands Bach Society on YouTube: they are posting some really high-quality recordings and videos of Bach's works, with the aim to upload all of them eventually! For example, here's one of their exquisite recordings of the opening chorus form Bach's St John Passion (there's another video with the full thing that you can easily find on YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyeOPfg_6FE

thanks, giving that a listen
I AM GROOT 1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
:nopity:

Nice thread
Ed1397
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Finzi is a lesser known composer but I would definitely recommend this incredible tune to those that are into the more mainstream scope of classical music.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ed1397)
[
Finzi is a lesser known composer but I would definitely recommend this incredible tune to those that are into the more mainstream scope of classical music.
Das pretty gewd :yy:
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Need something to relax myself after an exam today so here's another favourite, Liszt's Un Sospiro

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (435)
33.56%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (529)
40.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (272)
20.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (60)
4.63%

Watched Threads