OpusGCSE
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hello all!

Last year, I managed to achieve 11 9s in my GCSEs. I know now is a stressful time for students, so I thought I could offer some advice. Ask me anything!

(FYI I'm a seventeen year old black girl and am planning on applying for PPE next year!)
Last edited by OpusGCSE; 9 months ago
1st superstar
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by OpusGCSE)
Hello all!

Last year, I managed to achieve 11 9s in my GCSEs. I know now is a stressful time for students, so I thought I could offer some advice. Ask me anything!

(FYI I'm a seventeen year old black girl and am planning on applying for PPE next year!)
not a GCSE student but what subjects did you take? and did you do your GCSEs in 2018 or 2019?
eloisamc
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi! I was just wondering what are some of the main techniques you usually use to revise as I have tried many of the more common techniques like flashcard, mindmaps and practise questions but find they don't really work for me to learn information, thank you
OpusGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1st superstar)
not a GCSE student but what subjects did you take? and did you do your GCSEs in 2018 or 2019?
I completed my GCSEs in 2019 and I sat 11 - Maths, English (Lit and Lang), Chemistry, Biology, Physics, History, R.S, Latin, French and Music
OpusGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by eloisamc)
Hi! I was just wondering what are some of the main techniques you usually use to revise as I have tried many of the more common techniques like flashcard, mindmaps and practise questions but find they don't really work for me to learn information, thank you
Heya! It's easiest to think about your revision in 3 phases: 1. Complete your notes - It sounds obvious, but staying on top of your bank of notes throughout the year so you have a comprehensive set that are formatted the way you enjoy (if the common techniques aren't engaging, try online flashcards, recording content, writing yourself topic tests to complete etc) 2. Learning unfamiliar topics - when it comes to the revision period, you need to revisit all the topics and subjects that you struggled with the most, and I'd recommend using your teachers, YouTube and simplified revision guides (like CGP or exam board approved variations) to bridge any gaps in your knowledge. 3. Practice! I know you said practice questions don't seem to help but they're the best way to get familiar with the exam style and formatting and if you complete lots of past papers and engage with them actively (ie compiling lists of the difficult questions, noting any topics you couldn't answer any questions on etc) you'll find that you have a far more comprehensive picture of what you do and don't know! In regards to staying focussed, try using the pomodoro technique and B.R.A (Read briefly over the content - about 15 mins, BLURT - scribble down everything you can remember, REVISIT - Return to the notes and see what you forgot, ANNOTATE - Compile a list of the topics you missed out on the bottom of your page and revisit them in a couple of days!)

Sorry all that's long, hope it helps! I also post more subject specific help on my study gram - @opusrevision
1st superstar
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I completed my GCSEs in 2019 and I sat 11 - Maths, English (Lit and Lang), Chemistry, Biology, Physics, History, R.S, Latin, French and Music
nice and you're so lucky that your school let you do 2 languages...
RomeoKaouane
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hello all!

Hi
I'm doing my latin revision what tips do you have for it?
How would you be able to memorise good for latin history, latin literature and latin language?
Last edited by RomeoKaouane; 9 months ago
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I completed my GCSEs in 2019 and I sat.....Music
What do you play?
How easy was GCSE music? Apparently its not too bad if you already play to a high standard.
OpusGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by RomeoKaouane)
Hi
I'm doing my latin revision what tips do you have for it?
How would you be able to memorise good for latin history, latin literature and latin language?
Hiya! Tbh, Latin Language was one of those subjects that just needed lots of repetition, I had mindmaps with declension and verb endings and all of the advanced grammatical structures (ablative absolutes, supine etc), by the time I sat my exam I could chant my way near most of the grammar and that level of familiarity is important, it will help your translations improve too! Get familiar with past papers and mark schemes too, because they tend to reuse the same questions, especially in the grammar section, over and over... For literature, I annotated the text line by line and compiled a document that contained all of the stylistic devices. I did the Aeneid, so let me know if that's your text and I can send you some old notes! Sorry - we didn't do Latin History
OpusGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by glassalice)
What do you play?
How easy was GCSE music? Apparently its not too bad if you already play to a high standard.
I play the clarinet and I've completed my grade 8, so the practical side was definitely easy enough as I chose an easier piece and just focussed on "musicality" that would impress the examiner. If you play to a high standard, you shouldn't struggle with the practical component and the theory. However, composition is a whole different ballgame! We had to compose two different pieces, with harmonic development, varying texture etc for our coursework, and whilst it was doable and often a lot of fun, it was at times an arduous process and required A LOT OF TIME (like any creative subject really). So, if you enjoy music definitely go for it, but don't expect it to necessarily be an easy ride. Hope that helps!
mpaprika
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
what a levels are you doing and what are you applying for next year?
OpusGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by mpaprika)
what a levels are you doing and what are you applying for next year?
I do History, English, Maths and Philosophy/Ethics. I'm planning on applying for PPE next year!
eloisamc
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Heya! It's easiest to think about your revision in 3 phases: 1. Complete your notes - It sounds obvious, but staying on top of your bank of notes throughout the year so you have a comprehensive set that are formatted the way you enjoy (if the common techniques aren't engaging, try online flashcards, recording content, writing yourself topic tests to complete etc) 2. Learning unfamiliar topics - when it comes to the revision period, you need to revisit all the topics and subjects that you struggled with the most, and I'd recommend using your teachers, YouTube and simplified revision guides (like CGP or exam board approved variations) to bridge any gaps in your knowledge. 3. Practice! I know you said practice questions don't seem to help but they're the best way to get familiar with the exam style and formatting and if you complete lots of past papers and engage with them actively (ie compiling lists of the difficult questions, noting any topics you couldn't answer any questions on etc) you'll find that you have a far more comprehensive picture of what you do and don't know! In regards to staying focussed, try using the pomodoro technique and B.R.A (Read briefly over the content - about 15 mins, BLURT - scribble down everything you can remember, REVISIT - Return to the notes and see what you forgot, ANNOTATE - Compile a list of the topics you missed out on the bottom of your page and revisit them in a couple of days!)

Sorry all that's long, hope it helps! I also post more subject specific help on my study gram - @opusrevision
Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful and I will definitely check out your study gram!
RomeoKaouane
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hiya! Tbh, Latin Language was one of those subjects that just needed lots of repetition, I had mindmaps with declension and verb endings and all of the advanced grammatical structures (ablative absolutes, supine etc), by the time I sat my exam I could chant my way near most of the grammar and that level of familiarity is important, it will help your translations improve too! Get familiar with past papers and mark schemes too, because they tend to reuse the same questions, especially in the grammar section, over and over... For literature, I annotated the text line by line and compiled a document that contained all of the stylistic devices. I did the Aeneid, so let me know if that's your text and I can send you some old notes! Sorry - we didn't do Latin History
Thanks for the quick reply!

unfortunatly I am not doing the Aeneid but doing A Day at the Race instead. I don't mind if you want to send me the mindmaps you created for the language grammar as I'm sure they would be useful
OpusGCSE
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by RomeoKaouane)
Thanks for the quick reply!

unfortunatly I am not doing the Aeneid but doing A Day at the Race instead. I don't mind if you want to send me the mindmaps you created for the language grammar as I'm sure they would be useful
Sure! PM me your email address (or contact me on insta - @opusrevision)
unknownm123
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello all!

Tips for French
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise