The Student Room Group

I’ve picked the wrong subjects

Hi all, I’m in my first year of A levels and I’ve picked subjects that I don’t enjoy at all and it’s taking a big effect on my mental health. I’m currently studying Criminology , Sociology and Law. I’ve missed a big chunk of my studies due to my mental health meaning that now I feel even worse due to not knowing what I’m currently doing. I’m struggling though as I still wish to go to university. However even if the colleges around my let me re start a levels , I’m still unaware of what to pick. Does anyone have any advice on what to do or how to possibly find what to do as I’m really struggling at the moment and it’s taking its toll on me. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Greenfield2
Hi all, I’m in my first year of A levels and I’ve picked subjects that I don’t enjoy at all and it’s taking a big effect on my mental health. I’m currently studying Criminology , Sociology and Law. I’ve missed a big chunk of my studies due to my mental health meaning that now I feel even worse due to not knowing what I’m currently doing. I’m struggling though as I still wish to go to university. However even if the colleges around my let me re start a levels , I’m still unaware of what to pick. Does anyone have any advice on what to do or how to possibly find what to do as I’m really struggling at the moment and it’s taking its toll on me. Thank you :smile:

Sorry to hear that. I know this is going to sound really cliché but I recommend speaking to a careers advisor, if not your teachers to find out what subjects would be best for the course you want to do. Best of luck
Reply 2
Sorry to hear about your struggles. How do your GCSEs look? Are there any subjects that you can remember doing that you quite liked or fancied continuing? I'm currently doing A-Level Spanish, Business, Geography & Media - if you are interested in any of those you can ask me questions. The subjects you've chosen are quite essay based and writing heavy i think - maybe consider something a bit lighter?
Reply 3
I did the same thing and ended up dropping out and then going back the next year, if you're only 1 year behind colleges will definitely take you. Try making a list of potential subject you'd like to take and then I'd suggest looking at some of the subject material and deciding if you're interested in it and narrowing down the list- also if there's a particular degree you have in mind check if there's any required subjects.
Original post by Greenfield2

Socio is really easy and interesting! What subjects did u wanna do?

Quick Reply

Latest