Stirner28
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I’m currently in Year 12, studying Chemistry, Maths, Economics and Politics, with hopes to study PPE at Oxford.
I am, however, somewhat concerned with the outcome of my GCSEs, I achieved 6A* and 4As, and I am worried these results are not good enough, particularly as I am at a very high-achieving school; is this likely to be the case?

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks.
username5232810
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yeah they’re not ideal, considering you went to a high-achieving school. But it could still be worth applying. You would have to do really well in the entrance test to make up for it and get an interview but it’s still possible.

Bear in mind, I know people who went to fairly high-achieving private schools who got rejected by Oxford for E&M (similarly competitive) with perfect GCSEs (all A*s) and decent TSA scores (low to mid 70s). So it’s not easy. They really want you to have been among the best in your year with GCSE results. But don’t let that put you off, and I’m not a PPE student so others might know better.
azby1098
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Stirner28)
I’m currently in Year 12, studying Chemistry, Maths, Economics and Politics, with hopes to study PPE at Oxford.
I am, however, somewhat concerned with the outcome of my GCSEs, I achieved 6A* and 4As, and I am worried these results are not good enough, particularly as I am at a very high-achieving school; is this likely to be the case?

hi there!

i’m in a similar position to you, i achieved 6 a*s and 4 as at gcse, and i am hoping to apply for geography at oxford - but worried by gcses are too weak ;(
username5232810
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Again, I'm not the ideal person to answer your questions as I applied for a completely different course.
But both of your GCSEs are absolutely fine for Cambridge. Most people who performed subpar in their GCSEs for Oxford look to Cambridge instead as they place less emphasis on GCSEs and it's much easier to get an interview.
Could be something worth looking into for you guys, as everyone who got into Oxford from my school (a high performing private school) had 12-14 A*s in their GCSEs. Obviously people from schools with poorer track records can get in with lower results but I would suggest you guys look into Cambridge.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Oxford Mum?

(Moved to University of Oxford sub forum)
Last edited by harrysbar; 6 months ago
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by e^(i*pi) +;undefined)
Again, I'm not the ideal person to answer your questions as I applied for a completely different course.
But both of your GCSEs are absolutely fine for Cambridge. Most people who performed subpar in their GCSEs for Oxford look to Cambridge instead as they place less emphasis on GCSEs and it's much easier to get an interview.
Could be something worth looking into for you guys, as everyone who got into Oxford from my school (a high performing private school) had 12-14 A*s in their GCSEs. Obviously people from schools with poorer track records can get in with lower results but I would suggest you guys look into Cambridge.
The average PPEist gets about 8 x 8/9s at GCSE. But I am talking about the average. It's still possible to get in but, not as possible as it could be, if you get my drift... I am not pulling the wood over your eyes when I tell you that interest in PPE at Oxford is strong, therefore it's a case of supply and demand.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Stirner28)

Please see my reply below regarding GCSEs. Here is a chapter from my book, Oxford Demystified by a PPE offer holder, describing her journey to Oxford.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6436380
azby1098
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by e^(i*pi) + 1=0)
I do understand, but as you say it is dependent on the course. PPE has 8-9 A*s average, whereas less competitive subjects such as MFL/Geography often have lower average A*s
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
For PPE, you are, as noted, a bit below average. I think you'd need to do very well in the TSA to get an interview - as you can see here: https://public.tableau.com/views/Uni...showVizHome=no (if you look over the last three years) only about a third of applicants get shortlisted for interview (albeit a higher proportion from UK domiciled students), so your paper application will need to be stronger than average to get you to the interview stage. Since it's such a competitive course and hence interviews a smaller proportion of applicants, you may end up getting squeezed out due to the your GCSEs without good TSA results.
username5232810
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by azby1098)
I do understand, but as you say it is dependent on the course. PPE has 8-9 A*s average, whereas less competitive subjects such as MFL/Geography often have lower average A*s
Yes you’re probably right - I’m not sure of the average number of A*s a Geography offer holder would have.
azby1098
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by e^(i*pi) + 1=0)
Yes you’re probably right - I’m not sure of the average number of A*s a Geography offer holder would have.
I think in 2018 77% of UK applicants were interviewed
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by azby1098)
I think in 2018 77% of UK applicants were interviewed
Still hoping to get an Oxford geography offer holder to give us more info about this and other matters.
azby1098
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Still hoping to get an Oxford geography offer holder to give us more info about this and other matters.
I may have some people who’d be able to write something about geography! Can you PM me?
kwongnatalie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Same situation as you, got 6A*s and 4As at GCSE and want to study Chemistry at Oxford. I’ve heard that Oxford takes into account GCSE results a lot in comparison to Cambridge, but I don’t think the chemistry course at Cambridge is suitable for me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.91%
I'm not sure (32)
4.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (213)
31.51%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.22%
I'm not a current university student (322)
47.63%

Watched Threads