The Student Room Logo
University of York
York
This thread is closed

Is York really full of ugly people?

Scroll to see replies

Drewski
Can't talk for the uni, because I'm not a student here, it's my home.

What you need to remember is that York's a small city. Total population is not much beyond 100,000. An awful lot of the local university age people will all be away at their unis across the country, meaning all those remaining are the incoming students or those who didn't go to uni. York's also an older city, think after the last census the average was into the 30s.

Socialwise, the city's fine. Endless bars and pubs, something for everyone's taste, you've just got to get out there and find it.

Diversity? Well, York is something like 96% white. No reason for it, it's just the way it is. Never been any racist incidents here as long as I can remember, and my parents have never talked about any either [my mum's from Bradford, she'd have noticed it if there was :p:].

From what I've seen on the campus [limited, I'll admit] it's as good as Nottingham.

And lastly, thanks for calling me ugly:rolleyes:

^^^^^ what drewski said

York is a better city than Manchester, Sheffield, etc, simply because it is smaller but still has all the advantages of those big cities.
University of York
York
Reply 21
Creepy
You're so vein....

You probably think this song is about you,

You're so va-ain.
Creepy
You have blatantly never been to Sheffield.

I av wot u talkin bout youf?
Won't be all ugly this year. It'll at least have me :biggrin:

Hopefully :s-smilie:
Totally Tom
Errr, wtf, Sheffield is next to Rotherham, which as we all know is where the dregs of British society all reside.

What has this got to do with Sheffield anyway?
I didn't base my University choices on how good looking the students were.
I was merely pointing out that the students I saw in York werent that attractive.
Ramadulla
Ugliness is subjective.

That's what all the ugly people say.
Totally Tom
Errr, wtf, Sheffield is next to Rotherham, which as we all know is where the dregs of British society all reside.

Point being? Sheffield != Rotherham.

Anyway, I haven't really got much else to add :p:

You can have a damn good night out if you try. Sure, there aren't 20 clubs in the town centre (about 4 main ones ATM), but that doesn't stop you having a good time.

About campus, it's probably best to just have a look around by yourself, people tend to have different tastes. Some like it, others don't. As for getting in biology without chemistry, I have no idea. It could be worth ringing them, or seeing if anyone here does biology. Also, have a look what the clearing offer is this year. It could well change for next year, but it could give you an idea :smile:
Reply 27
lol just when you think you've seen it all.. :biggrin:
Reply 28
There's been a distinct lack of replies from York students here, I wouldn't base your opinion on most of the replies in this topic.
How rude. I like York uni campus.
And if you're after "ethnic food"
york has a whole street full of it at least. :rolleyes:

edit: I did stay there for a week (at the actual uni)..
most of my teachers went there and they're all pretty cool lol
everyone I know who goes there likes it..
but if you don't wanna come here 'cause we're all ugly then that's ok too. :ninja:
Reply 30
Interesting reading, especially the comments: http://www.theyorker.co.uk/news/campusblog/1966

Its apparent lack of social scene - when I envision student life I see going to societies and doing sports etc. but I will also like to go clubbing maybe a couple of times a week and I do want a varied, interesting student experience so things I've read about York worry me quite a bit

I would say they're unfounded. York has something like the most SU affiliated societies in the country, which is even more surprising considering its size.

2. Ethnic diversity - I want to ask does York uni have ANY black people at all?

The official statistics page requires a York login, but here are the important stats from it, with the average from HESA for comparison:

White: 93.68% (average 83.51%)
Mixed: 0.94%
Asian: 2.29% (average 7.61%)
Black: 0.94% (average 5.15%)
Other: 1.08%

3. The campus itself - is it attractive or not?

It really does grow on you. Once you get past the 60s architecture, explore the Quiet Area and realise that 75% of the University is actually open grassland (as the Uni is in green-belt, they're only allowed to develop 25% of it), you'll grow to love it. Yes, the concrete, and central hall, may look a bit ugly at first, but it's not all that bad.

I thought that was Barnsley? :P

Anyway, wasn't in some recent poll Leeds supposed to be the most beautiful place in the country?
Andrew28913
That's what all the ugly people say.

It bloody is subjective your moron. I suppose you lick every model's ass then, do you?
Reply 32
Symbea
There's been a distinct lack of replies from York students here, I wouldn't base your opinion on most of the replies in this topic.

I know exactly! :confused:
I was actually hoping for serious replies and hoped current students would agree/disagree with the points I posted as I'm genuinely curious. My points are in response to comments from others in this forum yet a few people are taken strong offense :confused: Im not saying York students ARE ugly, I'm asking IF York has more than their fair share of ugly people.
Reply 33
Toxic Tears
I know exactly :confused: I was actually hoping for serious replies and hoped current students would agree/disagree with the points I posted as I'm genuinely curious. My points are in response to comments from others in this forum yet a few people are taken strong offense :confused: Im not saying York students ARE ugly, I'm asking IF York has more than their fair share of ugly people.

I don't think it's any different to any other place. There are going to be attractive people, there are going to be unattractive people, such is life.

I think that just because it's smaller than other student cities with universities of a comparable standard that there are less of either extreme. When there are less, you notice them less.

For example, Manchester Uni, roughly on a level with York [for some things] and attracts the same level of student essentially. The student population in Manchester is nearly 100,000 across 3 unis, there are bound to be more attractive people there, but it doesn't mean there aren't unattractive people too. Say a fifth are attractive, that's 20,000 across the city. York has a student population of what, 40-50,000? A fifth of them would only be 10,000.... See the point?
Reply 34
in general, I think the girls are generally regarded as being better looking than the guys, but when you're talking about 12,000 people, it's pretty hard to make stereotypes...
I wouldn't worry about it too much, I don't think it's much different to any other uni in the country. Certain blocks and colleges seem to harbour nerdy-looking people, but I have to say I rarely walk around campus and stop and think, my god, this IS an ugly university. It'd have to be incredibly unlucky for the entire admissions for three years to be composed almost entirely of ugly people, to be honest.
i hope OP is beautiful enough to get away with making such remarks..
Reply 36
Toxic Tears
I know exactly! :confused:
I was actually hoping for serious replies and hoped current students would agree/disagree with the points I posted as I'm genuinely curious. My points are in response to comments from others in this forum yet a few people are taken strong offense :confused: Im not saying York students ARE ugly, I'm asking IF York has more than their fair share of ugly people.

I think you just have to realise that there'll be a mix. Out of 12,000 students I'm sure you'll find attractive ones. Also it depends on what you find attractive. Some girls find guys with a pretty face but not much of a body attractive while some like the big built rugged guy. It's fair to say you'll find a variety regardless.

People have a habit of complaining about the opposite gender when they're single. It's a way of venting. My friend and cousin went to York and they said it was strange because their stereotypes of guys can't be smart and attractive were destroyed by York. They both had a few boyfriends who they considered attractive (and yes, the two girls were attractive themselves).

I find it difficult to believe that York attracts ugly people,
Reply 37
um... im not sure this matters
and even if it did i dont see why there wouldn't be a wide range of attractivness in any town/city
Reply 38
I don't know if there are more ugly people, but I think there are fewer stunning people. Most people, shockingly, are average.

Anyway if really hot people are out of your league it's irrelevant whether there are many of them, unless you really enjoy staring at them without following through.
I'm sorry, but how is this, really important? :s-smilie:

Latest

Latest