EEEHHHHH
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, I'm currently in Year 12 and my college is expecting us to be one grade off our predicted grade (based on GCSE scores). I am really struggling to achieve top marks in my history essays as I am 'too narrative' and not analysing the question properly. I just don't know how to answer the question concisely using a consistent essay structure. Any help would be incredible!!!

(I'm doing AQA History, Stuart Britain and Cold War)
ImaraMwadzaya
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by EEEHHHHH)
Hi, I'm currently in Year 12 and my college is expecting us to be one grade off our predicted grade (based on GCSE scores). I am really struggling to achieve top marks in my history essays as I am 'too narrative' and not analysing the question properly. I just don't know how to answer the question concisely using a consistent essay structure. Any help would be incredible!!!

(I'm doing AQA History, Stuart Britain and Cold War)
Hi!

I'm also studying Stuart Britan for my depth study. Which essay style do you struggle with most? Source or the 25 markers?
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
What topic are you struggling the most in? What topic do you get fewer marks in? What type of question are you struggling with?
EEEHHHHH
Rep:
?
(Original post by ImaraMwadzaya)
Hi!

I'm also studying Stuart Britan for my depth study. Which essay style do you struggle with most? Source or the 25 markers?
Hi! thanks for replying, normally the 25 markers, I just can't write that quickly and struggle with condensing my knowledge to be more analytical
EEEHHHHH
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
What topic are you struggling the most in? What topic do you get fewer marks in? What type of question are you struggling with?
I'm just struggling to structure my essays in a way that's concise and will, therefore, get me better marks. I'm running at around 18/19 out of 25. Any revision tips would also be great as I just can't remember any dates and sometimes muddle up key events
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by EEEHHHHH)
I'm just struggling to structure my essays in a way that's concise and will, therefore, get me better marks. I'm running at around 18/19 out of 25. Any revision tips would also be great as I just can't remember any dates and sometimes muddle up key events
Firstly the highest I’ve gotten is 20 but I’m slowly improving. Fortunately my friend improved to 25 marks so I’m just going to base my advice on my teachers since it’s working for both of us for exam technique. When you structure your essay, intro 3xPEEL and conclusion is enough. You can’t muddle up the key events - you need to show the examiner you actually know your stuff - could you clarify how you are muddling them up? For dates, either use quizlet or pieces of paper with events on the front and the dates on the back and put them in some sort of box - you can go through them each day or often as you can. For exam technique wise, you need to think conceptually before you even write your essay so look at the question and see why it’s assumed as that as well rather than just what other factors made it that. e.g. why did the reparations made Weimar Germany weak? Why was it even weak to begin with? Why would it be seen as that? Was it actually weak or was it vulnerable? Then you can go on What other factors made it (your argument on “weakness” in the intro such as “potentially weak”)? Then you go into the actual subject and look further on how it did on each part of the subject? So how did the reparations made it look weak on Weimar Germany as a legal system or a democratic constitution or a constitution supported by the people? You could argue that the reparations made it weak through the people and democratic constitution but not on the legal system. Sorry for using different topics I only can know the information from my topics. You can improve your marks by knowing more stuff about the question topics and evidence like dates/ statistics are great for high marks because it shows you are supporting your work with actual evidence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.65%
No - I have already returned home (20)
12.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
20.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.86%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.95%

Watched Threads