For a language GCSE is the word list all I need

Watch
ILikeChina87181
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I’m talking specifically about Chinese GCSE edexcel but hopefully it’s the same for most languages. If I learn all of the listed vocabulary words and grammar structures listed in the specification booklet is that all I need to do the reading test? For instance is it unneeded to learn what the colour yellow is as it is not listed in “colour list” of the specification? Does this mean that all other words can be considered extra but not vital to be able to read everything in the test?
I’m probably just stupid but I don’t have an actual teacher to ask (my school doesn’t teach Chinese)
Thanks for reading
Moonbow
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi! I did aqa mandarin last year!
I learnt all my vocab on an aqa mandarin course by someone on memrise, it works fine and is about 700 words long
and that got me an 8 in reading (learnt for 3 years non native)
Mind you, there will be questions you do not know vocab for (AQA at least, I think you get small hints for vocab in Edexcel) and I would learn ALL words on the spec to get them (probably higher tier or extension)
Last year, we had a question about HOUSE MORTAGES. It is horrendous those questions but by using the course I said you can find ways around those questions through inference.
Good luck
ILikeChina87181
Rep:
?
Ok, I feel a lot better about myself now, thanks!
The house mortgages question sounds terrible, hopefully, I don't get that (I probably will)
I posted this question because I have almost finished learning all the vocabulary and was wondering if all my effort was worth anything. Does this list translate well over to the writing test? Do I need to learn more connective words and phrases for that? Many people say that in the writing they don't expect much and give you limited space. Was this true for you? Also is the speaking test a whole different vocabulary and do they focus a lot on accent and how you say the tones?
Sorry for being annoying, and thanks for reading
Moonbow
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Not at all! It is fine
The vocab does not vary from speaking to writing at all, it should be one simple list.
I strongly recommend learning social change sections like the environment as they always come up as a large section in the higher tier to get top grades.
Learning basic grammar sections such as because... therefore is essential for the exam, and ones you can remember from higher is just a bonus from there on in your exam but will be given a few marks but if you have basic grammar structures and try to add higher ones there is more likelihood you get them wrong and lose marks for accuracy.
I used yoyochinese for learning pronounciation and listening practice, which I highly reccommend.
Here is a starter for tones: Learn Chinese Tone Pairs: How to Practice and Master Mandarin Tones
this is by them on youtube.

(Original post by ILikeChina87181)
Ok, I feel a lot better about myself now, thanks!
The house mortgages question sounds terrible, hopefully, I don't get that (I probably will)
I posted this question because I have almost finished learning all the vocabulary and was wondering if all my effort was worth anything. Does this list translate well over to the writing test? Do I need to learn more connective words and phrases for that? Many people say that in the writing they don't expect much and give you limited space. Was this true for you? Also is the speaking test a whole different vocabulary and do they focus a lot on accent and how you say the tones?
Sorry for being annoying, and thanks for reading
ILikeChina87181
Rep:
?
Thanks for the suggestions, perhaps I’m not so hopeless after all .
Moonbow
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ILikeChina87181)
Thanks for the suggestions, perhaps I’m not so hopeless after all .
Trust me, if this gal who got a 3 overall in mocks can get a 7, you can shoot for the stars
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.72%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (67)
28.51%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.77%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.55%

Watched Threads