How many offers are they going to make unconditional?

Watch
username4941452
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Government's two week delay is now over, and we know what was happening before it; a surge in conditional to unconditional offer conversions.

I mean with this CAG business, I doubt many students are going to meet entry requirements for their courses (think about it, A*A*A*, that's bloody impossible), and when you take into account that they're not getting as many international students as they usually do, what kind of percentage are you guys thinking? They clearly need the students to make ends meet.

I am only asking this for speculation, and am not trying to create some kind of argument. During times like this, I kinda just want to hear opinions and what people think.
Platypie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My firm uni sent an email the other day saying they wouldn't be giving out unconditional offers, but that they would be more flexible on results day for accepting people. That being said I think other certain unis will definitely be converting their offers. So I think it will vary from uni to uni based on the popularity of the course and prominence of the uni itself. But I think overall the majority won't change their offers
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Most Uni's will just keep doing what they have been doing, (IE only giving unconditionals to people with achieved grades), and will sort the difference out on results day.
etienne26
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://www.tes.com/news/coronavirus...itional-offers
This says otherwise... and suggests a two week delay until May 4th
Last edited by etienne26; 1 year ago
username4941452
Rep:
?
(Original post by styleman)
Oh my, well this article really does change everything. Thank you for sharing this, I will definitely be looking further into this.

Everyone, still carry on updating this forum if possible, any news from individual universities, colleges, etc. I feel this overall topic is very important to all students right now in terms of their application.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by styleman)
It is highly likely that most university's will end accepting the majority of students with their A level results unless these are far lower than their offers. The government seem desperate to avoid unconditional offers but once the deadline for making decisions is passed it wouldn't surprise me if conditionals became unconditionals in many places. The government has already showed they are not to be trusted over the results date scenario.
username4941452
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
It is highly likely that most university's will end accepting the majority of students with their A level results unless these are far lower than their offers. The government seem desperate to avoid unconditional offers but once the deadline for making decisions is passed it wouldn't surprise me if conditionals became unconditionals in many places. The government has already showed they are not to be trusted over the results date scenario.
Interesting input, but could I ask more about one of your points?

You mention the government shouldn't be trusted because of the results day scenario. Could you elaborate? I did hear about results day possibly being towards to end of July, before it was moved forward again to August 13th. Is there anything you may have understood from this decision?

Please do share.
mattlcfc
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you think that even if you’ve made decisions on UCAS your firm / insurance is likely to change it from unconditional to conditional?
username4941452
Rep:
?
(Original post by mattlcfc)
Do you think that even if you’ve made decisions on UCAS your firm / insurance is likely to change it from unconditional to conditional?
This is something I would like information on as well! Please make a post on this forum if you have any information
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mattlcfc)
they can't bait and switch like this, don't worry. (instead - unconditional offers are just bait lol)
username4941452
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
they can't bait and switch like this, don't worry. (instead - unconditional offers are just bait lol)
How about the other way round? Conditional to unconditional, after firming / insurance?
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hallowkin)
How about the other way round? Conditional to unconditional, after firming / insurance?
yeah this can happen. If your firm offer becomes unconditional your insurance offer will be automatically declined, and you'll be committed to going there unless you release to clearing. (though you do get a cooldown period to change your mind, if they make it unconditional before this expires)

whether a uni gives you an unconditional shouldn't really be a deciding factor.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 year ago
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This was the universities minister's reply on here on 10 April
Ofqual and the exam boards are working hard to provide results as quickly as they can. They are aiming to get them out a little earlier than the usual timeframe if possible, so students can have certainty as quickly as possible. We will confirm this as soon as we can. Thanks, Michelle

Her boss Gavin Williamson stated this a few days later and also had previously suggested results day would be in July.

After the cancellation of A-level and AS-level exams, that date was thrown into confusion. Soon after exams were cancelled, the government's education secretary Gavin Williamson said it was hoped that results would be out by the end of July.
In a later announcement on how students' exam grades would be decided, the exam regulator Ofqual said results would be released no later than the original date of 13 August.
But Williamson has now provided official confirmation of the A-level and AS-level results day, in a comment piece published by the i newspaper.
"GCSE students will get their results on Thursday 20 August, while those who are awaiting A-level results will get theirs the previous Thursday, the 13th," said Williamson.
"These dates are the same as those published at the start of this academic year, and I hope will provide further clarity for all those young people receiving results in the summer."
Williamson's comments confirm that, despite the cancellation of exams, A-level results day is on Thursday 13 August 2020.
It is not yet known whether students will be able to go to their schools and colleges to collect their results in person, or whether another system will be put in place to issue results.

This was less than a week later.

Michelle Donolan also claimed universities would be flexible about students taking exams being accepted for 2020/1 entry. UCL has already said students sitting exams in the Autumn wont be accepted for 2020 entry and given she stated results wont be out until near Christmas it will be too late for most universities as seminar 1 will nearly be completed by then.

I certainly dont trust anything they say.
username4941452
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
This was the universities minister's reply on here on 10 April
Ofqual and the exam boards are working hard to provide results as quickly as they can. They are aiming to get them out a little earlier than the usual timeframe if possible, so students can have certainty as quickly as possible. We will confirm this as soon as we can. Thanks, Michelle

Her boss Gavin Williamson stated this a few days later and also had previously suggested results day would be in July.

After the cancellation of A-level and AS-level exams, that date was thrown into confusion. Soon after exams were cancelled, the government's education secretary Gavin Williamson said it was hoped that results would be out by the end of July.
In a later announcement on how students' exam grades would be decided, the exam regulator Ofqual said results would be released no later than the original date of 13 August.
But Williamson has now provided official confirmation of the A-level and AS-level results day, in a comment piece published by the i newspaper.
"GCSE students will get their results on Thursday 20 August, while those who are awaiting A-level results will get theirs the previous Thursday, the 13th," said Williamson.
"These dates are the same as those published at the start of this academic year, and I hope will provide further clarity for all those young people receiving results in the summer."
Williamson's comments confirm that, despite the cancellation of exams, A-level results day is on Thursday 13 August 2020.
It is not yet known whether students will be able to go to their schools and colleges to collect their results in person, or whether another system will be put in place to issue results.

This was less than a week later.

Michelle Donolan also claimed universities would be flexible about students taking exams being accepted for 2020/1 entry. UCL has already said students sitting exams in the Autumn wont be accepted for 2020 entry and given she stated results wont be out until near Christmas it will be too late for most universities as seminar 1 will nearly be completed by then.

I certainly dont trust anything they say.
This is... horrible.

I didn't know about what UCL had said, and this information has me incredibly concerned about this year's applications... with the information you've provided, I already have a few universities in mind that will follow UCL's footsteps. This is incredibly unfortunate, but I have to now agree with you; what the government has said and what a university (and soon, universities) have said do not align with each other; the results for Autumn examinations are going to be too late- they are not to be trusted.

This places many students in a state of disarray should they not achieve their required conditions.

I have no words to all this.

How horrible. How terrible of the government to do this to their own students, to be so unforgiving during a crisis no one had control over.
username4867806
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is... horrible.

I didn't know about what UCL had said, and this information has me incredibly concerned about this year's applications... with the information you've provided, I already have a few universities in mind that will follow UCL's footsteps. This is incredibly unfortunate, but I have to now agree with you; what the government has said and what a university (and soon, universities) have said do not align with each other; the results for Autumn examinations are going to be too late- they are not to be trusted.

This places many students in a state of disarray should they not achieve their required conditions.

How horrible. How terrible of the government to do this to their own students, to be so unforgiving during a crisis no one had control over.
I have not seen a single university say that they will be flexible to those doing the Autumn exams. Every single one so far has said they will have to start in 2021. This is definitely the government's fault. They need to stop saying stuff that they can't make sure will be true.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is... horrible.

This places many students in a state of disarray should they not achieve their required conditions.M

Other than a few universities and select courses mainly in the medical field I suspect most students will get into their firm or insurance universities. Based on previous years most universities accepted students with dropped grades and they are likely to be more flexible this year so I dont think many will end up taking September/October exams. Most universities accepted 1 or 2 grade drops and I cannot see a huge disparity between teachers assessments and what students would have got in exams. That is not to say it would be the same as predicted grades which were totally unreliable anyway.
username4941452
Rep:
?
Bumping this post.

It appears they have made it so unconditional conversions have been delayed by a further two weeks.

Any opinions or news people would like to add?
username4867806
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bumping this post.

It appears they have made it so unconditional conversions have been delayed by a further two weeks.

Any opinions or news people would like to add?
Making offers unconditional may encourage students to go to university this year as universities are expecting a lower intake. I think this ban is a bit stupid to be honest. Students would still have a choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads