username5255614
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Personally, I love the city and I heard it’s quite decent. Plus, my sister went there for Law school and really rates it.
Last edited by username5255614; 8 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report 8 months ago
Newcastle has a really good reputation for medicine and the architecture on campus is very lovely (except for the weird iron statue in the smack middle of main campus, but art is subjective)!

You get more clinical experience in the A100 course, you've got mixes of seminars and lectures (Newcastle is more on lecture based teaching for A100, but also has case-led learning --> much more varied on teaching) where teaching is mainly systems-based and integrated. You'll get a "case launch" lecture introducing clinical context for the following basic science lectures (e.g. covering a case of some cardiovascular disease, then learning about the structure and functions of the heart)
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
There is no such thing as a "bad" medical school or hence a "good" medical school - there are no med schools better or worse than others, at least in the UK. All GMC accredited medical schools have to meet extremely stringent requirements set by the GMC, and all will lead to the same set of foundation posts once you graduate (and the "brand name" of a university means nothing in medicine, since as I understand the people assessing applications to foundation or specialty posts may not even see the name of your medical school due to how the applications are handled).

What does make a difference and is worth considering is the teaching style (e.g. PBL vs lecture based vs other formats), the location (you'll be living there for 5-6 years, which is a signifcant amount of time...this also includes the placements and how far out they may be from your base at the uni; for example, Southampton medics have placements in Winchester as well), and any amenities/facilities/societies etc offered by the university that you may wish to partake in (if you are an avid swimmer you may prefer a uni that has a large swimming pool or pools, for example). The above poster has highlighted some of the aspects of teaching style which may be relevant to your considerations.
Newcastle University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by username5255614)
Personally, I love the city and I heard it’s quite decent. Plus, my sister went there for Law school and really rates it.
Hi username5255614,

It's great to hear you're interested in studying with us! For our Medicine programme, you can find all about the course here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/a100/. Follow the link and click on the "Quality and Ranking" tab to discover Newcastle University Medical School's performance across the globe!

As well as this, you can also ask our current Medicine students directly. Visit our Unibuddy platform and ask them anything about studying and living in Newcastle! Chat here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/study/contact/unibuddy/.

Hope this helps

- Laura
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.82%
I don't have everything I need (96)
39.18%

Watched Threads