The Student Room Group

Personal statement - help!

I am a mature student, switching courses. My previous studies do not sync with what I am applying to go into. (a applied science foundation year)

I am really struggling with my personal statement and what to write.I am using the UCAS tool, and super stuck with the bit about linking previous studies. Is there anyone who has been in a similar boat who can help me? Any advice I am grateful for!
are there any skills you learnt that may help? even things like communication can be useful

not everything on the ucas tool needs to be in your personal statement either! if you feel theres no link, you can just not talk about it
What are you applying for now? What extra reading/watching lectures etc. have you done relevant to it that you have found interesting?
Reply 3
Original post by Interrobang
What are you applying for now? What extra reading/watching lectures etc. have you done relevant to it that you have found interesting?

I am applying for Applied Sciences Foundation year. To go into Biomedical Sciences. I have stated all the extra stuff I have done already, I'm concerned it isn't enough
Reply 4
Original post by originalbiscotti
are there any skills you learnt that may help? even things like communication can be useful

not everything on the ucas tool needs to be in your personal statement either! if you feel theres no link, you can just not talk about it

Yes! I have stated those. Thank you, I find it hard to tell myself that aha. I am concerned what I have written isn't enough. I had an accident in my break from education that has left me disabled so I do not have a massive list of impressive things being a mature student.
Original post by Hardy927
Yes! I have stated those. Thank you, I find it hard to tell myself that aha. I am concerned what I have written isn't enough. I had an accident in my break from education that has left me disabled so I do not have a massive list of impressive things being a mature student.

even if youve read articles about areas of the subject that interest you it can be spoke about in your personal statement! the uni wants people who are interested, engaging in the subject and care about it, not just people with experience
the UCAS guide is not good (and particularly not suited to mature applicants).
You don't need to "link" your previous studies to your chosen degree - any links are obvious and anything not obvious isn't useful (and this stuff is never personal).
Just focus on your own motivations for studying your chosen degree and things you're looking forward to studying in detail at university
Reply 7
Okay so mention topics in particular I am excited to learn about and why, and other ways I have learnt about it? I have written about personal attributes and what makes me suited for the course.
Okay so mention topics in particular I am excited to learn about and why, and other ways I have learnt about it? I have written about personal attributes and what makes me suited for the course.

Personal attributes aren't really necessary for a course like biomed - focus on why you want to do the course through extra reading etc.
Reply 9
Original post by Interrobang
Personal attributes aren't really necessary for a course like biomed - focus on why you want to do the course through extra reading etc.

I am writing it for the applied sciences foundation year right now, any tips for that specifically? Thank you!
I am writing it for the applied sciences foundation year right now, any tips for that specifically? Thank you!

Same idea, and talk about what you want to do after the course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending