vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Im just really confused as to what it is. g. anitproton.
username5225164
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Say you have a particle, every particle has an antiparticle. The antiparticle has the same mass as its relative particle, but the charge is opposite. For example: The antiparticle of an electron is a positron, because they both have equal mass, however the charge of an electron is negative, and the charge of a positron is a positive one. In your case, the antiproton is the antiparticle of a proton. A proton has a charge of +1, whereas its antiproton has a charge of -1, however their masses are the same.
smaph
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
antimatter is the same as ordinary matter in all ways except their respective charges, which are the exact opposite. for example, an electron has an electric charge of -1 and a lepton number of +1. a positron (anti electron) has an electrical charge of +1 and a lepton number of -1. spin and mass are conserved for matter and anti-matter. to use your example of an anti-proton:
a proton consists of 2 up quarks (charge:+2/3, baryon number:1/3) and 1 down quark (charge: -1/3, baryon number: 1/3)
net result being an electric charge of +1 and baryon number of +1.

an anti-proton consists of 2 anti-up quarks (charge: -2/3, baryon number: -1/3) and 1 anti-down quark(charge: +1/3, baryon number: -1/3)

net result being an electric charge of -1 and baryon number of -1.
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
so antimatter and antiparticles are the same?
Kevin2002
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
yes, just like particles are matter
smaph
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
yes anti matter is simply matter made up of the antiparticle equivalent to the ordinary particles that make up that matter
Last edited by smaph; 7 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (593)
34.1%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.54%

Watched Threads