FutureMissMRCS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I need to learn the main concepts in philosophy and some of the key philosophers and what they thought- to include some philosophy for my GAMSAT essay and I'm just wondering where do I start? Are there any books, any websites or videos anyone recommends?
I AM GROOT 1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Some key philosophers I am aware of are:
Immanuel Kant
Thomas Aquinas
Betrand Russel
Gaunilo
Anselm
David Hume
John Stuart Mill
Jeremy Bentham
Thomas Hobbes
Locke
and so on

If you want to learn about the main philosophical points it might be useful to look at an A level text book. There are also loads of sites such as:
https://plato.stanford.edu/index.html

Might be a good idea to look at the 7 branches of philosophy first and see which would be useful for your essay:
Metaphysics
Epistemology
Anthropology
Ethics
Logic
Political Science
Aesthetics

It would probably be best to do some reading on ethics more, but it all depends on what you are looking to include in your essay
gracevhm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by FutureMissMRCS)
I need to learn the main concepts in philosophy and some of the key philosophers and what they thought- to include some philosophy for my GAMSAT essay and I'm just wondering where do I start? Are there any books, any websites or videos anyone recommends?
https://philosophyalevel.com/
This website breaks down the philosophy a-level into each section and explains it really well. The a-level textbooks are useful but can be a bit wordy. Youtube has some really useful videos on Philosophy too.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
COuld do worse than Nigel Warburton's Philosophy: The Basics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (929)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (96)
4.41%

Watched Threads