esu00pheobe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
For my personal statement, I would like to mention some french book... obviously reading them first. Any suggestions on what to read?
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You could try to mix it up by reading a classic piece of lit and something that's contemporary. Regarding classic, I'd highly recommend L'Avare by Molière. One of the best and funniest plays written (in my opinion).

For contemporary, I'm at a loss to be honest. I haven't read contemporary French lit in a while. Try to Google some lit written during the 21st century.

You could go for another classic or a modern classic like L'Etranger but they're overdone and might not demonstrate diversity in your reading.
Last edited by Quick-use; 8 months ago
fernsehturm
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by esu00pheobe)
For my personal statement, I would like to mention some french book... obviously reading them first. Any suggestions on what to read?
What are you A-level texts / film and text? If you enjoy them, perhaps read some more around the same subject as this will show you are interested in what you have been doing at school, and this will obviously be an area you can then talk about in your personal statement.
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It's a bit long, but I read Bakhita by Olmi for my French personal statement, and I loved it! Something like La Fille de Papier is a good first read, and a bit lighter, or else something like La Maison de Claudine. What sort of thing do you enjoy reading in English?
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I’d avoid le petit prince and l’etranger.
A level nightmares!!!! 😝
username5209782
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
I’d avoid le petit prince and l’etranger.
A level nightmares!!!! 😝
Ugh I agree with le petit prince. Never again. :rip:
LaGataSonriente
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I can highly recommend No et Moi by Delphine de Vigan. Not too long and with generally accessible language, but a thought-provoking message about modern society. A wonderful piece of modern literature!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (69)
18.16%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (108)
28.42%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (143)
37.63%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
12.63%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.16%

Watched Threads