Organic chemistry AS mechanism help!!!

Watch
meemy123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi I am struggling with this question so badly!!! Name:  6A452868-E512-40E6-B83E-754C062128C7.jpg.jpeg
Views: 25
Size:  17.4 KB

I reacted propene with HBr to get compound H which turned out to be 2-bromopropane. Then I reacted 2-bromopropane with NaOH and got propene which should be compound I. Not sure how to react propene with acidifed potassium dichromate or perhaps compound I should have been an alcohol. Pls help!!!!
meemy123
Rep:
?
These are my workings!!! Name:  A8CF479E-FF2E-4B51-916D-9693F23DE072.jpg.jpeg
Views: 12
Size:  18.5 KB Name:  048D59FF-2726-43D5-9B6A-FFBFEBC65C87.jpg.jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  20.4 KB
MedicPls
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
When reacting with NaOH, depending on whether conditions are just aqueous or ethanolic, the bromoalkane can form either an alcohol (if aqueous conditions) or alkene (if alcoholic conditions). In this case it forms an alcohol - this is hinted by the fact that the question later states that compound I reacts with acidified potassium dichromate; acidified potassium dichromate is typically used as an oxidising agent in reactions with alcohols and aldehydes.
meemy123
Rep:
?
(Original post by MedicPls)
When reacting with NaOH, depending on whether conditions are just aqueous or ethanolic, the bromoalkane can form either an alcohol (if aqueous conditions) or alkene (if alcoholic conditions). In this case it forms an alcohol - this is hinted by the fact that the question later states that compound I reacts with acidified potassium dichromate; acidified potassium dichromate is typically used as an oxidising agent in reactions with alcohols and aldehydes.
Thanks so much for your help!!!!!
meemy123
Rep:
?
When I react propanol with warm acidified potassium dichromate, do i get carboxylic acid or ketone cos it doesn’t say anywhere if its fully or partially oxidised?
meemy123
Rep:
?
I think this is ketone cos its secondary alcohol Name:  80EF8104-A5FA-476E-8111-8BD1E415819D.jpg.jpeg
Views: 11
Size:  23.4 KB
MedicPls
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by meemy123)
When I react propanol with warm acidified potassium dichromate, do i get carboxylic acid or ketone cos it doesn’t say anywhere if its fully or partially oxidised?
If it's a primary alcohol, then under distillation, reacting with acidified potassium dichromate will give an aldehyde. Then under reflux, reacting with acidified potassium dichromate would give a carboxylic acid.

However, if it's a secondary alcohol, then under both distillation and reflux, reacting with acidified potassium dichromate will just give a ketone.

You should note that if it's a secondary alcohol, then it can never be oxidised to a carboxylic acid - only primary alcohols can be fully oxidised to carboxylic acids.

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
56.03%
I don't have everything I need (255)
43.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise