sweetescobar
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I need help understanding why the pressure increases due to the fact that the equilibrium moves toward the molecules with the larger amount of molecules if that makes any sense. Should it not be vice versa
sweetescobar
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Name:  Capture23.PNG
Views: 9
Size:  132.6 KB
ignore question B
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by sweetescobar)
Name:  Capture23.PNG
Views: 9
Size:  132.6 KB
ignore question B
Pressure is caused by molecules bashing into the walls of the containers.

On the left hand side there are three molecules that can band into the walls. On the RHS there are only two molecules, hence less pressure.

If you increase P (e.g. by making the container smaller), then the equilibrium reacts by trying to reduce the pressure and the equilibrium shifts to the RHS.
lewisli_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Increasing pressure shifts the equilibrium to the right, in this case, to the side with the fewer gas molecules because if you imagine a making a box smaller, all the particles are closer together and they would want to react to produce fewer molecules in the system to try to counteract the increase in pressure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (534)
33.99%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (647)
41.18%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (318)
20.24%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed