What are your honest pros and cons of Sussex university?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I’ve got a conditional offer for Sussex but don’t really know about it like the night life and the atmosphere
Anonymous #2
Report 7 months ago
Recently finished my second year.

So the pros of Sussex
- Brighton (is a nice town generally with good restaurants, nightlife and culture)
- Close to London
- Generally fairly respected university, but not considered as good as the 'elite'.
- I have experienced nothing but great teaching.
- Very accepting environment on the whole

Negatives
- Campus is really isolated to the point where basically you have to leave campus for everything at the weekend, weekdays are fine as everything is open. However campus could do with a better supermarket.
- Close mindedness - there is a strong left wing regressive element at Sussex (this will vary depending on the course and certainly isn't the majority), basically avoid discussing politically contentious issues because these people basically cannot be reasoned with. Im not talking about being left wing or right wing its more like Far left vs everyone else type situation. See Kathleen Stock controversy for example.
excitedpresent
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I also just finished my second year. Here's my pros/cons:

Pros
~Brighton is great for going out; good pubs/bars/restraunts, etc. it has a rep for having a great nightlife.
~People are generally quite friendly, especially at the student union
~Diverse uni in regards to ethnicity and nationality. Though I have noticed there's also too many londoners here for my liking, but apart from that quite a mixed bag.

Cons
~Living in Brighton is EXPENSIVE (after first year, you can't live in halls anymore and have to live in the city instead)
~As the other person pointed out, it is rather left wing here lol. It's certainly the most 'liberal' place in the UK i would argue, Brighton Pavillion is the only area where the Green Party wins a seat in every election :^) This will be a pro/con depending on your political affiliations of course
~It's moved down the league tables A LOT recently. When I first joined it was like in the 20s now it's 40th in the UK. Depending on your course though, it may still be strong. I.e, uni is still very good for psychology, biology etc.

(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ve got a conditional offer for Sussex but don’t really know about it like the night life and the atmosphere
Sussex-student19
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I am just coming to the end of a 1-year MA at Sussex. I highly recommend you reconsider your choice. We lost six weeks of tuition this year due to strike action. That means, of 21 weeks of teaching we didn't have six of them! Devastating. I then found out that this is the THIRD consecutive year that this strike action has taken place, though I was not warned when I applied or had my offer accepted, and it is highly likely that there will be a fourth year of strike action in 2020. The university will not give you compensation for lost teaching.
parmezanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I went around it and put it as one of my 5 but not as my final two, because I looked around and hated it.

Brighton is a really good city, especially if you're into partying or are lgbt or ally.

But the campus...is just ugly. the buildings look dirty and run down prefabs, and the whole vibe is just not modern or friendly really.
olithewolly
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by yzanne)
I went around it and put it as one of my 5 but not as my final two, because I looked around and hated it.

Brighton is a really good city, especially if you're into partying or are lgbt or ally.

But the campus...is just ugly. the buildings look dirty and run down prefabs, and the whole vibe is just not modern or friendly really.
Haha - that's just unfortunate 1960s architecture. The university is pretty good though - its a golden age uni (meaning it was built between 1945 and 1967) and is the 15th best Golden Age uni in the world. It is fairly new so hasn't had loads of time to grow, I think.

Pros:
Brighton is really nice, and on the beach with loads of shopping, clubs and restaurants.

most accommodation is nice, though some is not great.

The campus has actually been rated one of the nicest in the country, and is right on the Sussex downs - so fairly green.

It's a well respected uni too. One thing I was kind of shocked about, is its 146th on the world rankings, and Durham (Which I see as elite) is 133rd, so they're apparently pretty close.

There are so many clubs which cater to everyone's taste - the nightlife is honestly amazing. E.g. Patterns - I guess kind of edgy? Underground club. Pryzm - Huge, definitely typically popular music, like a lot of London stuff too. Chalk - more sort of good music, you know? Like songs everyone knows - it's my favourite.

It's easy to make friends, in my opinion. I got a great group pretty much straight away.

There are loads and loads of societies, which literally cover just about everything - from a conservative society to a pirate society. Sports teams range from tennis to american football.

I live in the southwest countryside so it's kind of hard for me to get home, but it's on the London trainline.

There's a huge variety of people, though like the previous said, maybe too many londoners... haha.

Cons:
Brighton is expensive to some people I guess - first year cost probably well over 1k per month - obviously not including tuition. I got the minimum maintenance loan which I used to live on, and then my parents paid my rent themselves, though I think some people pay for rent with their loan? When you leave campus accomodation it might cost you more too, not necessarily because of rent and bills (though it might be), but because of transport into the campus.

The campus is far from city. If you want to travel in the daytime, take the train because it's a 10 minute journey. For clubbing, from the campus the journey is usually 30-45 mins I'd say, and if you need a wee its grim haha. Also when you get into the city, because its on the beachfront and uni barely crosses into the summer, it is COLD!

Teachers are ridiculously left wing - to the point where there are articles saying teachers at sussex think right-wing students are 'a problem that needs dealing with.' They also held classes on how to deal with students with right-wing views.

The on campus coop is so convenient, but also the most expensive coop in the UK.

The strikes are ridiculous, some people missed like 6 weeks of tuition with a maximum refund of only £100. Also teachers aren't allowed to tell you why they personally strike, but they literally all did. One teacher said that they were striking because they thought students were paying too much for a service that didn't provide as well as it should - god knows how the hell they think striking (so we miss education) is possibly going to help that. After the first set of strikes, one teacher said that part of the reasoning for the second strikes was because teachers were deducted pay after the original strikes. Like wtaf hahaha. Why do they think they can get away with doing no work, opposing the institution which they work for, essentially STEAL the tuition fees of the students, and still get paid? Ridiculous!

On the whole, I like saying I'm at sussex. Aside from enjoying pretty much every day I spend there, it's a very well perceived university, and I'm honestly not just saying that because I go there. The left wing teachers can be annoying, but it's not all of them, and some students (if not most) probably agree with them. I have no issue with their views, obviously, I just think they could be kinder to others with differing views. You also meet a really wide variety of people.

I would recommend !
Last edited by olithewolly; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (216)
56.25%
I don't have everything I need (168)
43.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed