laraparmley
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, I'm in year 12 doing AQA English lit coursework, and I've chosen A thousand splendid suns as my novel to look at from a feminist lens. However, I'm struggling a bit with what critics to use and big ideas to use for each paragraph, as I only have a few small ideas at the moment, any help?
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
i presume you're doing aqa spec b? not a lot of people on tsr seem to be doing that!!:awesome: while i can't give you specific text guidance as i didn't do that text for my coursework what i do recommend is if you haven't done already, just start a google doc with all your points and expand them into paragraphs- they don't have to be good at this stage, it's just good for you to get your flow of thought down and see which points you have are stronger.
critical quotes i did really struggle to put in at first, but i do recommend trying to use them as the basis for your points somewhere so they don't seem forced in. do remember you're not limited to the anthology and that you can use critics quotes specifically towards the text (i found some for my text on google scholar!!) if they're relevant to your points. what's the question you're doing for a thousand splendid suns, or have you not decided on that yet??
laraparmley
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
i presume you're doing aqa spec b? not a lot of people on tsr seem to be doing that!!:awesome: while i can't give you specific text guidance as i didn't do that text for my coursework what i do recommend is if you haven't done already, just start a google doc with all your points and expand them into paragraphs- they don't have to be good at this stage, it's just good for you to get your flow of thought down and see which points you have are stronger.
critical quotes i did really struggle to put in at first, but i do recommend trying to use them as the basis for your points somewhere so they don't seem forced in. do remember you're not limited to the anthology and that you can use critics quotes specifically towards the text (i found some for my text on google scholar!!) if they're relevant to your points. what's the question you're doing for a thousand splendid suns, or have you not decided on that yet??
thank you, this is really helpful I'll try that! My question is "A Thousand Splendid Suns confirms the gender stereotypes that perpetuates patriarchy"
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by laraparmley)
thank you, this is really helpful I'll try that! My question is "A Thousand Splendid Suns confirms the gender stereotypes that perpetuates patriarchy"
no worries!! oh that sounds a bit like the question i did for my feminist angle except yours is much more sophisticatedly worded!! i explored the empowerment and portrayal of women in one flew over the cuckoo's nest and whether they're actually positively portrayed.
the aqa critical anthology isn't the best tbh so i do recommend seeing if you can find some articles on your text. though one good line i did find in the anthology was something about female independence getting negative connotations. at this stage your nea doesn't need to be perfect- it's just a good time for you to start getting points down and developing them. you can also research feminist literature theory and use that in your nea.
i haven't read a thousand splendid suns, but you're obviously gonna wanna look at if the stereotypes are displayed in characters, the setting(??) etc. for a lot of my year 12 summer when prepping for my nea i did spend a fair amount of time re-reading critical theory and passages of the text several times (not in one day, mind!!)- sometimes you just need to keep coming back to it until you come up with a link or interesting idea.
one thing i did do when planning was highlight key passages that i'd use in the nea (for me this was female characters' actions that indicated strength or weakness) and these were the ones i'd read several times. if i found a good critics quote i'd write it next to the passage in a different colour. critical theory doesn't always have to support your point- you could find something you disagree with and use your point to argue against it.

sorry this is so long and apologies i can't be of more help
laraparmley
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
no worries!! oh that sounds a bit like the question i did for my feminist angle except yours is much more sophisticatedly worded!! i explored the empowerment and portrayal of women in one flew over the cuckoo's nest and whether they're actually positively portrayed.
the aqa critical anthology isn't the best tbh so i do recommend seeing if you can find some articles on your text. though one good line i did find in the anthology was something about female independence getting negative connotations. at this stage your nea doesn't need to be perfect- it's just a good time for you to start getting points down and developing them. you can also research feminist literature theory and use that in your nea.
i haven't read a thousand splendid suns, but you're obviously gonna wanna look at if the stereotypes are displayed in characters, the setting(??) etc. for a lot of my year 12 summer when prepping for my nea i did spend a fair amount of time re-reading critical theory and passages of the text several times (not in one day, mind!!)- sometimes you just need to keep coming back to it until you come up with a link or interesting idea.
one thing i did do when planning was highlight key passages that i'd use in the nea (for me this was female characters' actions that indicated strength or weakness) and these were the ones i'd read several times. if i found a good critics quote i'd write it next to the passage in a different colour. critical theory doesn't always have to support your point- you could find something you disagree with and use your point to argue against it.

sorry this is so long and apologies i can't be of more help
this was really really helpful, thank u so much!
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by laraparmley)
this was really really helpful, thank u so much!
no worries, good luck with the neas!! they're not as bad as they may seem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (686)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (861)
42.52%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (387)
19.11%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.49%

Watched Threads