Goldenstar25
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I have just been told that I am eligible for the Msc in Nursing. However I am really confused what funding I would be eligible for. I am reading in different places that I am not really eligible for anything. Then found this on Martin Lewis website:
If you're a postgraduate pre-registration healthcare student: You are eligible to apply for a second undergraduate loan instead of the Master's loan if you are enrolled on one of the qualifying courses. You'll repay both your loans at a consolidated rate of 9% above the income threshold.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as my mind is blown haha
Vam1970
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I would call the student loan people to ask as I thought you would only be entitled to the £5,000 per yr master’s loan
You would I think also qualify for the £5,000 grant the government are giving.
I may be wrong , it’s all confusing
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Are you working as a nurse now, Goldenstar?
Vam1970
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Just had a look and you are right, looks like you can do it with student loan funding.
I would like to think you get the £5000 grant too
Attached files
Last edited by Vam1970; 2 years ago
Vam1970
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kerzen)
Are you working as a nurse now, Goldenstar?
I worked as a midwife and got a place in msc but I was with lots of people who had been healthcare assistants prior to starting course and a few of them had psychology degrees and even one had a dance degree.Are you thinking of doing msc
I’m now doing degree instead hopefully as I want to take my time to get degree
Goldenstar25
Rep:
No I’m not a current nurse, but a complex health assistant so work with tracheostomy’s, pegs and administer medication, oxygen etc.

I’m going to call student finance today to hopefully get some answers. I will get back to you all when I have spoken to them thanks
Vam1970
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
You could definitely apply
Kerzen
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Goldenstar25)
No I’m not a current nurse, but a complex health assistant so work with tracheostomy’s, pegs and administer medication, oxygen etc.

I’m going to call student finance today to hopefully get some answers. I will get back to you all when I have spoken to them thanks

Would you consider joining the Royal Navy as a nurse, Goldenstar?
Goldenstar25
Rep:
I personally couldn't due to health issues, however I did want to when i was younger.
Goldenstar25
Rep:
(Original post by Vam1970)
Just had a look and you are right, looks like you can do it with student loan funding.
I would like to think you get the £5000 grant too
What is the £5000 grant?
Vam1970
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
No I’m not a current nurse, but a complex health assistant so work with trac Koop heostomy’s, pegs and administer medication, oxygen etc.

Thanks, if you do find out it may make me reconsider MSc as a mature student would need full financing
Goldenstar25
Rep:
I have just spoken to student finance he said that you could apply for the undergraduate funding package, however you need to find out if the course in on the Finance England course management database.
Vam1970
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I have just spoken to student finance he said that you could apply for the undergraduate funding package, however you need to find out if the course in on the Finance England course management database.
I’m now wondering if I should apply for that next year instead of Bsc as I went for bsc as I could not afford the masters, if it’s the same it’s not worth me doing bsc
Goldenstar25
Rep:
I’m now wondering if I should apply for that next year instead of Bsc as I went for bsc as I could not afford the masters, if it’s the same it’s not worth me doing bsc
Which university would you be going through?
OnlySonia
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I was in a similar situation, I had a place on a masters nursing course but the masters funding just didn’t leave enough to live on after paying fees so I applied and got accepted to do the undergrad instead. It’s a year longer but so much better funded and also leaves the masters funding for me to use if I ever want to do a masters in a health field to further my nursing career in the future.
Vam1970
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by OnlySonia)
I was in a similar situation, I had a place on a masters nursing course but the masters funding just didn’t leave enough to live on after paying fees so I applied and got accepted to do the undergrad instead. It’s a year longer but so much better funded and also leaves the masters funding for me to use if I ever want to do a masters in a health field to further my nursing career in the future.
But if you could have got the same funding as undergraduate would you have gone for MSc?
Vam1970
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
i
I’ve tried looking for that information, how do I find that out?
Vam1970
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Which university would you be going through?
UEA
Kerzen
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I personally couldn't due to health issues, however I did want to when i was younger.

How old are you, now, Goldenstar?

There are some conditions which are a bar, but if you don't have one of those, you might be able to join the Reserves.
Goldenstar25
Rep:
I’m 26. I’m not sure then, I know mine is a new course to our university. And things have recently changed after the bursary was scrapped. If you are really unsure I’d suggest calling finance England.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
18.63%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (35)
34.31%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.96%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.8%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
18.63%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
3.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.86%

Watched Threads