keirdb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I'm pretty set on studying history at university, beginning September 2021, and was wondering what are some helpful books that I can read and potentially reference in my UCAS application.

Thanks, any answers will be appreciated
Last edited by keirdb; 9 months ago
A giant chicken
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If you have a specific uni you want to go to then look on their History course page and they should have a number of overview books which will help prepare for the content of the first year.

Otherwise, just pick up one or two (or more, depending on how much you like to read) books on areas of history that interest you and then reference them. The book references only serve to demonstrate your interest in history outside of any lessons so it really is up to you as to what books you wish to read.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Not really for your PS, but you should find Studying History by Black and Macraild useful.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by keirdb)
I'm pretty set on studying history at university, beginning September 2021, and was wondering what are some helpful books that I can read and potentially reference in my UCAS application.

Thanks, any answers will be appreciated
Hi keirdb

Its great to hear that you are interested in studying History. I studied history and undergraduate and postgraduate myself so love seeing others interested the the subject.

I would say that the books you should read depends on the course you want to study as History is a very diverse subject and universities offer different courses with different recommend reading lists. What areas of history are you interested in? You could always visit a city record office/archive and do so family tree research. Its not specific to any course, but being able to use these types of sources for research will be crucial during your studies.

But don't worry to much as all this is not to crucial for a PS. Just show your love for history and highlight a with few instances of your desire to study history outside of stuff you've learned in the classroom.

Hope this helps.

Dom
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads