The Student Room Group

Westminster degree classification calculation

Hi guys I wanted to ask does anyone know how to calculate the final grades for your degree at Westminster university. So my average grade for second year is 57% and it is worth 30% of the overall degree and my third year is worth 70% of the degree so i got the following so far for 3rd year 48% worth 20 credits 45% worth 20 credits 62% worth 20 credits 60% worth 20 credits 65% worth 40 credits what will i get in my overall degree if my second year mark is worth 30% and third year marks worth 70% of the year helppppp!!!!!
Hi!

So as your second-year mark is worth 30% and you got 57%, you have obtained 17.1% of your total degree in your second year.

Your third year is worth 70% so obviously the marks you score in your final year have a higher weighting in comparison to your second year.

In your third year you achieved:

48% x 0.2 (20 credits)= 9.6
45% x 0.2 (20 credits)= 9
62% x 0.2 (20 credits)= 12.4
60% x 0.2 (20 credits)= 12
65% x 0.4 (40 credits)= 26

The maximum credits available across all modules is 120 (20+20+20+20+40)

So you got 69 out of a possible 120 credits in your final year (9.6+9+12.4+12+26), which is 57.5% (69/120*100)

Your third year is worth 70% of your total degree so 70/100*57.5 is 40.25%.

So to your degree, you contributed 17.1% of it from your second year and 40.25% in your final year for a total average of 17.1+40.25= 57.35%.

I'm not sure about the University of Westminster's grading system but I think 57.35% is a 2:2 classification.
Original post by atyourservice
Hi!

So as your second-year mark is worth 30% and you got 57%, you have obtained 17.1% of your total degree in your second year.

Your third year is worth 70% so obviously the marks you score in your final year have a higher weighting in comparison to your second year.

In your third year you achieved:

48% x 0.2 (20 credits)= 9.6
45% x 0.2 (20 credits)= 9
62% x 0.2 (20 credits)= 12.4
60% x 0.2 (20 credits)= 12
65% x 0.4 (40 credits)= 26

The maximum credits available across all modules is 120 (20+20+20+20+40)

So you got 69 out of a possible 120 credits in your final year (9.6+9+12.4+12+26), which is 57.5% (69/120*100)

Your third year is worth 70% of your total degree so 70/100*57.5 is 40.25%.

So to your degree, you contributed 17.1% of it from your second year and 40.25% in your final year for a total average of 17.1+40.25= 57.35%.

I'm not sure about the University of Westminster's grading system but I think 57.35% is a 2:2 classification.

Thank you soo much
Is their anyway you could help me with mine? Level 5-worth 33% 40,60, 44, 45, 47- all worth 20 credits and I dropped my poorest module Level 6- worth 66% 65-40 credits 65, 68, 64, 62- all worth 20 credits
Original post by atyourservice
Hi!

So as your second-year mark is worth 30% and you got 57%, you have obtained 17.1% of your total degree in your second year.

Your third year is worth 70% so obviously the marks you score in your final year have a higher weighting in comparison to your second year.

In your third year you achieved:

48% x 0.2 (20 credits)= 9.6
45% x 0.2 (20 credits)= 9
62% x 0.2 (20 credits)= 12.4
60% x 0.2 (20 credits)= 12
65% x 0.4 (40 credits)= 26

The maximum credits available across all modules is 120 (20+20+20+20+40)

So you got 69 out of a possible 120 credits in your final year (9.6+9+12.4+12+26), which is 57.5% (69/120*100)

Your third year is worth 70% of your total degree so 70/100*57.5 is 40.25%.

So to your degree, you contributed 17.1% of it from your second year and 40.25% in your final year for a total average of 17.1+40.25= 57.35%.

I'm not sure about the University of Westminster's grading system but I think 57.35% is a 2:2 classification.

I have tried to work mine out using your calculations but I’m not sure the end result is right or not would it be ok to ask you for help. Thank you.
Original post by Orlamoneley
Is their anyway you could help me with mine? Level 5-worth 33% 40,60, 44, 45, 47- all worth 20 credits and I dropped my poorest module Level 6- worth 66% 65-40 credits 65, 68, 64, 62- all worth 20 credits

There is a way - https://www.westminster.ac.uk/sites/default/public-files/general-documents/academic-regulations-section-17-framework-for-undergraduate-courses.pdf

Page 104.
Original post by Orlamoneley
Yeah that’s the sum I used 😂

I thought you used the one from the second post in the thread? They're different.
Original post by EierVonSatan
I thought you used the one from the second post in the thread? They're different.

The sum says module scores x by credits of module- which I did, over credit volume, which I presumed was the 33% of the final grade because that’s the percentage of the credits for that level, then I repeated for level 6, and then used the 66%, and added these numbers together to find the final grade
Original post by Orlamoneley
The sum says module scores x by credits of module- which I did, over credit volume, which I presumed was the 33% of the final grade because that’s the percentage of the credits for that level, then I repeated for level 6, and then used the 66%, and added these numbers together to find the final grade

The post in this thread doesn't take into account that it's just your best 220 credits that counts, that's all.

Okay, so what did you get?
Original post by EierVonSatan
The post in this thread doesn't take into account that it's just your best 220 credits that counts, that's all.

Okay, so what did you get?

I’ve had about 4 different answers 😂
Original post by Orlamoneley
I’ve had about 4 different answers 😂


Your level 5 score is 42.7%, your level 6 score is 64.833% therefore in total

grade=13×42.7+23×64.833=58.955grade=\frac{1}{3} \times 42.7+\frac{2}{3} \times 64.833 = 58.955

which due to P105 7.3.6 "The indicator score shall be rounded to the nearest integer and mapped to the following table
to derive a classification:" means you have 59% and a 2:2 classification.
Original post by EierVonSatan
Your level 5 score is 42.7%, your level 6 score is 64.833% therefore in total

grade=13×42.7+23×64.833=58.955grade=\frac{1}{3} \times 42.7+\frac{2}{3} \times 64.833 = 58.955

which due to P105 7.3.6 "The indicator score shall be rounded to the nearest integer and mapped to the following table
to derive a classification:" means you have 59% and a 2:2 classification.

😡😡😡
Original post by Orlamoneley
😡😡😡

You are welcome :erm:
Hi could someone help me calculate my overall grade for second year 🥲
Reply 15
Original post by LOSTSTUDENT10
Hi guys I wanted to ask does anyone know how to calculate the final grades for your degree at Westminster university. So my average grade for second year is 57% and it is worth 30% of the overall degree and my third year is worth 70% of the degree so i got the following so far for 3rd year 48% worth 20 credits 45% worth 20 credits 62% worth 20 credits 60% worth 20 credits 65% worth 40 credits what will i get in my overall degree if my second year mark is worth 30% and third year marks worth 70% of the year helppppp!!!!!

I have a question.. does this 30% - 70% ratio for 2nd and 3rd year apply to all uni courses. Additionally is there a requirement of a 2/1 (60%+) in second year to allow for a 1 at overall ? Thanks
Reply 16
Original post by JJE1234
I have a question.. does this 30% - 70% ratio for 2nd and 3rd year apply to all uni courses. Additionally is there a requirement of a 2/1 (60%+) in second year to allow for a 1 at overall ? Thanks

Every university has its own rules on how degree classifications are calculated, and the weighting of each year can vary from one course to the next even at the same university.

I don't recall any posts on TSR referring to a minimum requirement in year 2 to get an overall first class degree (at any university) -- but obviously the step-up from working at below a 2:1 standard in year 2 to getting a first overall is going to be significant.

Latest

Trending

Trending