The Student Room Group

Are you getting enough relevant information from the government?

Poll

Are you getting enough relevant information from the government?

There's a lot happening right now, in the general world, but also specifically as a student. So many changes mean there's lots of questions to be answered.

In relation to the impact COVID-19 is having on your life, do you feel you're getting enough information, relevant to you, from the government?

If not, what do you want to hear and who from?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by BlinkyBill
There's a lot happening right now, in the general world, but also specifically as a student. So many changes mean there's lots of questions to be answered.

In relation to the impact COVID-19 is having on your life, do you feel you're getting enough information, relevant to you, from the government?

If not, what do you want to hear and who from

We all want this to come to an end. If this virus is so dangerous, why aren't there more rules enforced with harsher punishments for those who disobey. It sounds tough but once the world unites and listens, the end will be only shortly after.
I want to hear Gavin Williamson and Ofqual to see what will be done for the Y10’s and Y12’s.
Yeah I guess

I want to hear one thing and one thing only. When is the lockdown going to end?
Reply 4
no

i asked what the herbs and spices were in kfc batter like 3 months ago, nothing
Reply 5
I have all I need from them. They have some absurdly clever experts in this stuff advising them, so I trust that when they know the correct course to be taken regarding things like easing the restrictions, they'll let us know.

If not, what do you want to hear and who from?

I'd like to hear honesty from the government.

It is obvious there is a disconnect between what the government is saying about PPE for NHS staff and what the frontline staff are saying.
Reply 7

Yes, the daily death toll is all that matters to me as an indicator to how soon we'll be out of this. I don't need the government to tell me whether it's good to wear a mask. There will be lots of people who feel they're not getting all the info they need in areas like financial assistance, luckily I'm not one of them.
Nowhere near enough. Let me explain.

1) "guided by the science" rubbish. This is a euphemism for "we're not doing anything".
2) lack of clarity over face masks. every country is basically using them except us. im wearing one anyway
3) no word on when lockdown will end despite most other ccountries at least considering easing theirs
4) no word on what will happen with schools

The fact is, the uk was an outlier going into this with the whole herd immunity rubbish and we'll probably be an outlier going out. that said that may mean there may acutally be a change as a result of public/media pressure etc

I can go on for a lockdown for another month or so, but after that at the very least id like to be able to see family. not much to ask tbh. that way if you do get ill with COVID, you know who has it.
Original post by 1st superstar
I want to hear Gavin Williamson and Ofqual to see what will be done for the Y10’s and Y12’s.

Yeah it definitely feels like that could be helpful. We've received quite a bit of feedback about people wanting to hear from these guys also - we're working to see what we might be able to do.
I'm getting plenty of messages from the Government but few of them are accurate or true.
I think a lot of the problem is that the advice particularly on the daily press briefings is very waffle-y and repetitive. I've found the Scottish ones to be much better (and they also have BSL interpreters too which is good), but their website is pants compared to the English one. I think the differing advice/rules between Scotland and England is going to become confusing - for example driving a short distance to exercise is now allowed in England but not in Scotland.
Yeah it definitely feels like that could be helpful. We've received quite a bit of feedback about people wanting to hear from these guys also - we're working to see what we might be able to do.

thanks
As someone who suffers with various physical health issues as well as health anxiety on top, its hard to remain strong and optimistic when there feels like no real end in sight with this thing. As well as the ongoing worry of getting it, going out and doing my bit of exercise, and trying to avoid interaction with other passers by. I don't know what the future holds and don't suppose anyone does, but the numbers are still so high and they're opening shops and looking to allow some level of interaction to people. Not sure if that's the right thing to do considering. Very worrying times, and very lonely ones too. Hopefully time will tell, but don't want it to be too little too late. (Getting shopping/food in, and online shopping stocks slowly depleting doesn't help my woes either)
Honestly it doesn't matter as I wouldn't trust their information anyway. Watched PMQ's today, it's usually a joke but damn Raab flat out doing a Trump-esque response to most of the things he was being asked/challenged on "No I don't believe the scenario you're trying to invent." "No that's not how it is at all." etc to things like queries on nursing homes/hospitals running out of PPE and testing not being at 100k. I mean Starmer asks him about the 100k testing target when yesterday only 18k were done, Raab replies with well actually we have active capacity for 40k tests a day. Starmer goes...right but only 18k done you admit you could do 22k more but aren't then. Raab just puts on a sulky face, and that's not me even rating Starmer or being a Labour supporter. I'd respect them if they were just honest about it not deflecting or ignoring every question.

In general though main things I want to know are...

1) Are we actually going to relax things in stages soon or what? Mainly say being allowed to visit relatives/close friends if no one is vulnerable and no one has symptoms, maybe a max number etc.

2) Furlough scheme wise, it's now extended to end of June. Will there be scope to extend it even further, maybe on a case by case basis for certain businesses?
I would say that though my answer is no, I don't really the blame the government for that because they need to focus on the people with bigger problems then how my grades will be decided.
Original post by 1st superstar
I want to hear Gavin Williamson and Ofqual to see what will be done for the Y10’s and Y12’s

Me too :smile:. There is not enough information about what will happen for the year 10's and year 12's

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending