Living at Home- Freshers Week

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm starting Uni in September, and I've decided I'd rather stay at home, and save money, than go into student accommodation. However, I'm now really nervous about the social aspect. I am EXTREMELY shy and kind of awkward :P - making new friends does not come easily to me.

I'm in uni facebook groups and all I see is Fresher night's out etc. However, I don't know if its worth paying for them- I know if I pay now it is SO MUCH cheaper, but I'm worried when I get to uni I wont have anyone to go with so I'll have wasted my money. Alongside this, it would be quite expensive (and quite sketchy I guess) to get a taxi home alone. Is anyone else in a similar situation? Shall I buy tickets or not?
Anonymous #2
Report 6 months ago
As someone who stayed in accommodation, I'm really not sure how to advise you. I suppose you should buy tickets to more of the social, meeting people kinda events than the boozy events where you really go *with* your friends.

I met the people I went to events with through my accommodation, and they're still my friends now. You're more likely to make friends in your course as a commuting student, but even then those friends will want to go hang out with their accommodation friends afterwards. All the people I know in my course have their own friendship groups outside of their course, or they happen to live in the same accommodation.

I won't lie, commuting is dangerous to your university social life. I know that's not what you asked, but I just want to warn you if you're looking to make friends. By commuting, you won't get to spend as much time with your friends, participate in society events, nor are you close to university facilities (e.g. I live 2 minutes from my subject library, and 5 minutes from my SU.) I would not have made any friends at university if I had commuted. I understand if you want to save money, but student loans are a thing and can help if you haven't considered using the loans to pay rent.

Obviously if this is a final decision, then you will have to try extra hard to make friends. Good luck!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm starting Uni in September, and I've decided I'd rather stay at home, and save money, than go into student accommodation. However, I'm now really nervous about the social aspect. I am EXTREMELY shy and kind of awkward :P - making new friends does not come easily to me.

I'm in uni facebook groups and all I see is Fresher night's out etc. However, I don't know if its worth paying for them- I know if I pay now it is SO MUCH cheaper, but I'm worried when I get to uni I wont have anyone to go with so I'll have wasted my money. Alongside this, it would be quite expensive (and quite sketchy I guess) to get a taxi home alone. Is anyone else in a similar situation? Shall I buy tickets or not?

Hey!

Although accommodation for most people is the main source of friends in your first year, you still have plenty of opportunities to make friends if you want to. Also, try and remember that a lot of people actually commute and still manage to make friends and have a social life!

There are so many societies you can get involved with and meet people, especially in freshers when you can pretty much try anything you want to, whether a new sport or activity! I think your course will be the best place to make friends as you will be meeting them anyway, and already have a shared interest - whatever your studying! I know it might be hard as you said your shy, but in the first couple of weeks, most people feel so awkward anyway so I would just say try and put yourself out there as much as you can comfortably!

If you do want to go out a lot, I would recommend the freshers pack. I didn't buy it as I knew I didn't want to go to most of the events, and just paid on the door whenever I went out and it ended up being cheaper, so you could try and figure out whether it will be financially viable or not People I know who commuted ended up sleeping at their friends after nights out a lot to solve the taxi problem.

Hope that helps a little! Good luck and have fun!

Courtney - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (121)
14.42%
I'm not sure (36)
4.29%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (254)
30.27%
I have already dropped out (21)
2.5%
I'm not a current university student (407)
48.51%

Watched Threads