NHS Braces List?

Watch
Anonymous_1092
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
What are your experiences of being on this list? I’m currently in year 10 and I’ve been on the list since year 7. It’s quite annoying seeing everyone that were on the list way after have braces before me.
Is it normal to wait so long? I know, given the circumstances now, braces aren’t my top priority but it is quite annoying. I’ve tried following it up quite a few times but keep getting told that I’m on the list and I still need to wait. :/
Rosie273
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
i only waited 6 months for my braces, if you arent top priority i wouldn't get so annoyed, it really depends where you go and now due to the global pandemic i wouldn't be stressing about your teeth, orthodontists will now only see people for emergencies I'm pretty sure.
bambi1425
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
wasn't on the list until about yr 10/11, then it told had to have baby teeth removed, which I refused, so had to wait. lost them both, orthodontist got outbid for a license so waited a year for a new one, went, the orthodontist was extremely rude, so I refused braces.

constantly got told Its my last chance (due to age). so yeh not the best experience of that system.

I do know plenty who got braces by year 9 tho and were fine, it may just be your in a particularly busy area?
Anonymous.23
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
They’ve tightened the restrictions a lot now for braces so if your teeth are okay ish then you’ll be towards the bottom of the waiting list and people who’s teeth are considered a lot worse will be higher up even if they are put on after you. I had braces about 5 years ago now and since then, if your teeth are not proper bad then you’ll be on the waiting list for a while. I know it’s annoying but you just have to keep waiting I guess
medbox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I suggest you switch dentists and go somewhere else - other dentists/orthos might be more lenient. I know someone who was refused braces, then they switched dentists and then got the proper referral etc and then eventually got it in year 11
Anonymous_1092
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous.23)
They’ve tightened the restrictions a lot now for braces so if your teeth are okay ish then you’ll be towards the bottom of the waiting list and people who’s teeth are considered a lot worse will be higher up even if they are put on after you. I had braces about 5 years ago now and since then, if your teeth are not proper bad then you’ll be on the waiting list for a while. I know it’s annoying but you just have to keep waiting I guess
My teeth are very very bad. I have an overbite and multiple teeth issues that are a pain.
Anonymous_1092
Rep:
?
(Original post by bambi1425)
wasn't on the list until about yr 10/11, then it told had to have baby teeth removed, which I refused, so had to wait. lost them both, orthodontist got outbid for a license so waited a year for a new one, went, the orthodontist was extremely rude, so I refused braces.

constantly got told Its my last chance (due to age). so yeh not the best experience of that system.

I do know plenty who got braces by year 9 tho and were fine, it may just be your in a particularly busy area?
But people around me on the same list has gotten them before me and my teeth are much worse!
bambi1425
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous_1092)
But people around me on the same list has gotten them before me and my teeth are much worse!
if that's the case I'd recommend speaking to your dentist when you can to see about how long it may be, and maybe what they can do to help however, now I'm sure there'll be even more of a backlog, which is unfortunate.

I hope you don't have to wait too much longer!
Anonymous_1092
Rep:
?
(Original post by bambi1425)
if that's the case I'd recommend speaking to your dentist when you can to see about how long it may be, and maybe what they can do to help however, now I'm sure there'll be even more of a backlog, which is unfortunate.

I hope you don't have to wait too much longer!
Yep. Thank you so much though. After all this blows over, I’ll definitely follow it up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.76%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.41%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.53%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.65%
No - I live at home during term anyway (78)
29.66%

Watched Threads