The Student Room Group

Foundation year after a btec

I think I've posted about my course before, but I'm currently in my first year of a media extended diploma. I've heard a lot about btec students not being prepared for university, I want to study something like digital marketing or journalism. Even though I get nearly all distinctions in my work so far, would I benefit from a foundation year to brush up on my academic skills?
Original post by Azuree
I think I've posted about my course before, but I'm currently in my first year of a media extended diploma. I've heard a lot about btec students not being prepared for university, I want to study something like digital marketing or journalism. Even though I get nearly all distinctions in my work so far, would I benefit from a foundation year to brush up on my academic skills?

Benefit? Possibly as its a years extra study? If you get all D's then utterly pointless unless you need the foundation to get on the course, otherwise I would say no.
congratulations on distinction!! x
Reply 3
Original post by Proxenus
congratulations on distinction!! x

Thank you haha, it's not easy 😂
Hey there @Azuree,

Congrats on that distinction! I've done btec work before and it's definitely a big work load. I'm currently a Journalism student at Coventry university and because we are predominately a broadcasting course we do a lot of practical work. I'd say if you were to do a BJTC accredited course like the one I'm doing, you definitely won't need a foundation year, as they teach you the basics of media in your first year.

I can't speak for a NJTC accredited course, but I imagine you wouldn't need a foundation year for that either.

A lot of people in my class including myself had to learn how to reference essay's for the first time which may seem daunting at first, but you get so much support you'll end up being able to reference and structure essays in your sleep. They give you a compulsory library talk so you know how to take out books, you'll have access to Moodle which will guide you on how to reference certain authors and also peers and lecturers will help out too. If you still need further assistance, Coventry's centre for academic writing hosts lectures and workshops that will guide you.

In your final year, you even get a chance to stray from completing a traditional 10,000 dissertation and can work on a final project/portfolio with a small essay instead.

Overall, I think you would be fine to start a BA, hope that helps.

Let me know if you need me to answer any more questions!

Kind regards, Gugu
Journalism
Coventry Campus
Reply 5
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hey there @Azuree,

Congrats on that distinction! I've done btec work before and it's definitely a big work load. I'm currently a Journalism student at Coventry university and because we are predominately a broadcasting course we do a lot of practical work. I'd say if you were to do a BJTC accredited course like the one I'm doing, you definitely won't need a foundation year, as they teach you the basics of media in your first year.

I can't speak for a NJTC accredited course, but I imagine you wouldn't need a foundation year for that either.

A lot of people in my class including myself had to learn how to reference essay's for the first time which may seem daunting at first, but you get so much support you'll end up being able to reference and structure essays in your sleep. They give you a compulsory library talk so you know how to take out books, you'll have access to Moodle which will guide you on how to reference certain authors and also peers and lecturers will help out too. If you still need further assistance, Coventry's centre for academic writing hosts lectures and workshops that will guide you.

In your final year, you even get a chance to stray from completing a traditional 10,000 dissertation and can work on a final project/portfolio with a small essay instead.

Overall, I think you would be fine to start a BA, hope that helps.

Let me know if you need me to answer any more questions!

Kind regards, Gugu
Journalism
Coventry Campus

Thank you for replying to me, this really helped me haha I feel a lot better now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending