Watford Grammar School for Girls

Watch
idk78
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I’m planning to go to the sixth form and I want to know what it’s like/ if you recommend it? I’ve heard mixed opinions about it
Also is it easy to make friends?
Buddingdentist08
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi
I really recommend it. It’s a great school. The bad things you hear about it aren’t true. It’s super easy to make friends, everyone is so nice. If you wanna know anything else just ask!
Last edited by Buddingdentist08; 1 month ago
alicepotts
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
A girl in year 13 recently justified slavery on her social media accounts. After receiving backlash, she pulled the victim card and wrote an “apology”, saying she “stands by what she said”. This wouldn’t have happened if WGGS made sure to consistently celebrate different cultures, and actually taught the students about the British slave trade and how awful the British Empire was. This school is extremely racist, many white teachers bully the black students, stereotype the Asian students and more. Don’t send your children to this school. If WGGS delete this review it’ll show the public that they don’t care about their students wellbeing. Furthermore, this school is horrific when it comes to mental health and bullying. A couple months ago a teacher told a year 12, who was struggling with self harm, that she should carry on because it was a “good coping mechanism”. Students throughout the school were understandably outraged and started protesting the way mental health is discussed in this school. Instead of listening to the students, Ms Tai gave the girls who started the protests detentions, and put them in isolation. This school does not care about anything, except for good grades and their white students. Additionally, many girls at the school have come forward about feeling uncomfortable around some of the male teachers, especially when they are told to pull down their skirts because “the male teachers can see your underwear”. However, the school has never done anything about these concerns. WGGS is a horrible school that does not care for the well-being of its students.
Buddingdentist08
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by alicepotts)
A girl in year 13 recently justified slavery on her social media accounts. After receiving backlash, she pulled the victim card and wrote an “apology”, saying she “stands by what she said”. This wouldn’t have happened if WGGS made sure to consistently celebrate different cultures, and actually taught the students about the British slave trade and how awful the British Empire was. This school is extremely racist, many white teachers bully the black students, stereotype the Asian students and more. Don’t send your children to this school. If WGGS delete this review it’ll show the public that they don’t care about their students wellbeing. Furthermore, this school is horrific when it comes to mental health and bullying. A couple months ago a teacher told a year 12, who was struggling with self harm, that she should carry on because it was a “good coping mechanism”. Students throughout the school were understandably outraged and started protesting the way mental health is discussed in this school. Instead of listening to the students, Ms Tai gave the girls who started the protests detentions, and put them in isolation. This school does not care about anything, except for good grades and their white students. Additionally, many girls at the school have come forward about feeling uncomfortable around some of the male teachers, especially when they are told to pull down their skirts because “the male teachers can see your underwear”. However, the school has never done anything about these concerns. WGGS is a horrible school that does not care for the well-being of its students.
LIES!!!
I go there and can 100% assure you that this is NOT true!
The school is not racist whatsoever. It is one of the most ethnically diverse school in the country. They do educate you on the slave trade in history in ks3. The school is very big on mental health. No teacher said that. They take mental health very seriously. Trust me. The male teachers do not make girls uncomfortable.

DONT BELIEVE THESE LIES
Mobitela
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I go to WGGS too; I'm in year 12 at the moment, going into year 13. I totally agree with spacegirl3, what you're referencing here are lies and gossip from the street / different social media platforms. In reality, we have a very ethnically diverse range of pupils, from different backgrounds.

Therefore, WGGS is not racist. It cares about all of its students, black, coloured and white. Ms Tai - a Headmistress of Asian descent - does not discriminate against girls in away, whether it be due to their background, religion, or ability. We have a mix of teachers, some are white, and some are Asian and African. A key component of the staff at WGGS are the inspirational women teachers (and administrators). They are examples of what women can achieve.

WGGS does care for good grades: that's because it's a high aiming Academy, Grammar school. Involvement in academic work is emphasised from the first entry into year 7 through termly examinations in many different subjects, as well as a wide variety of competitions and clubs which see how well you can combine the academic skills you've learnt in the classroom, with social skills you've learnt elsewhere.

In Watford Girls, we have a Special Needs department, as well as the matron, who help girls in mental and physical trouble. However, I do get your point about this not being up to the level it should. Sometimes girls may feel ill, go to the matron, and she'll send them back to their class. On the other hand, due to covid 19, this is (hopefully) going to change, especially as the matron will now be given a bigger room to deal with sick girls. This means that she will have more resources to help those that are feeling ill.

Overall, WGGS is an amazing school, with fantastic staff and lovely girls, it's right in the middle of the Watford Town Centre so if you're entering the 6th form, you'll be able to go into this during your lunch breaks. It has got its flaws, like many things in the universe, and depending which light you see these through they may even become advantages.
Buddingdentist08
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Mobitela)
I go to WGGS too; I'm in year 12 at the moment, going into year 13. I totally agree with spacegirl3, what you're referencing here are lies and gossip from the street / different social media platforms. In reality, we have a very ethnically diverse range of pupils, from different backgrounds.

Therefore, WGGS is not racist. It cares about all of its students, black, coloured and white. Ms Tai - a Headmistress of Asian descent - does not discriminate against girls in away, whether it be due to their background, religion, or ability. We have a mix of teachers, some are white, and some are Asian and African. A key component of the staff at WGGS are the inspirational women teachers (and administrators). They are examples of what women can achieve.

WGGS does care for good grades: that's because it's a high aiming Academy, Grammar school. Involvement in academic work is emphasised from the first entry into year 7 through termly examinations in many different subjects, as well as a wide variety of competitions and clubs which see how well you can combine the academic skills you've learnt in the classroom, with social skills you've learnt elsewhere.

In Watford Girls, we have a Special Needs department, as well as the matron, who help girls in mental and physical trouble. However, I do get your point about this not being up to the level it should. Sometimes girls may feel ill, go to the matron, and she'll send them back to their class. On the other hand, due to covid 19, this is (hopefully) going to change, especially as the matron will now be given a bigger room to deal with sick girls. This means that she will have more resources to help those that are feeling ill.

Overall, WGGS is an amazing school, with fantastic staff and lovely girls, it's right in the middle of the Watford Town Centre so if you're entering the 6th form, you'll be able to go into this during your lunch breaks. It has got its flaws, like many things in the universe, and depending which light you see these through they may even become advantages.
Well said 👏
Mobitela
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by idk78)
I’m planning to go to the sixth form and I want to know what it’s like/ if you recommend it? I’ve heard mixed opinions about it
Also is it easy to make friends?
Hi idk78! I think you will fit in well, its just going to be very different for your year. As you are entering school during the covid 19 epidemic, WGGS is putting in place different restrictions that makes the environment safe, but very different to how it used to be. These include:
- Us only having registration once a day rather than twice a day
- Lunch break only lasting 30 mins, rather than 1 hour, as clubs and societies aren't running any more
- School breaks being different for each year to reduce contact between groups of people
- As much HW as possible being handed in online (through Teams)
- Bringing our personal computers from home into school
- A shorter school day? (I'm not so sure about this one...)
- Coming onto the school premises through particular entry ways, and at particular times, so no earlier than 15 mins before the school day begins (8:45)
- Each year group is given a different space in the school which they mostly have to stay in, I think yours will be in the lower 2 floors of the science block

I hope this helps
Itsrandomgirl
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is not a lie. Girls put stickers around the building and they only reason they weren’t suspended is because a student said they had connections to the Watford observer newspaper. The teachers were so mad that they torn down the stickers up which read ”where is your mental health support”. I fully agree with this statement as I was bullied up until year 9 by one group of girls and the ring leader and then socially isolated when GCSEs started. No one in any of my sets would talk to me, I was always the last choice and forgotten about, I often did group projects by myself and the teachers made me do it by myself as I was left out from the groups. HOW IS IT FAIR I DO A GROUP PROJECT ALONE ??? I became depressed and felt that no one care about me so I tried reaching out to the teachers and they did nothing but send me back to class mid anxiety attack. I believed that no one cared and I was a nuisance and began TRIGGER WARNING: hurting myself in lessons by scratching on my wrist (now they’re scarred) so I didn’t have a panic attack or cry. It was the only way to stop it and when I went for help they turned me away again. I am one of the few students that are thankful lockdown happened because if I stayed in that school then I am scared to imagine if I would have acted on some of my intrusive thoughts.

Going back to what happened with the sticker situation. I know some of the girls in that sixth form group. They are hard working students so for them to disobey the school like that speaks volumes. With how horrible the school treats bullying and mental health. I hope no one else has to experience what I did but I know that the truth is many others have experienced the same thing as me. The teachers care more about calling the police on YR8 girl who hide drugs on lip balms than help the girls who are asking for it and who’s life is at risk.

Sorry if this didn’t make sense but I need to vent about that trauma I faced in this school and how even though I am leaving it, I can never escape the pain of what happened to me.

also here are some photos of the stickers.. imagine shutting people up who are trying to tell you about a major issue.
Name:  9A4DE2D1-74EB-428A-9719-60B9DD1450EF.jpeg
Views: 16
Size:  125.7 KBName:  76D810D0-E81D-4BFC-968A-E1CBE0C7E468.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  176.5 KBName:  0346148D-3082-4F99-A810-F68DDFDE70F9.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  109.8 KB
Itsrandomgirl
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mobitela)

One of my friends is special needs and struggles with their mental health. It’s not my place to go into detail but the way they treated her is appalling and the teachers don’t have enough basic knowledge or understanding to help her.

I haven’t seen racism but just because you haven’t seen it doesn’t mean you should dismiss it as that would make it harder for other people to speak up and during these times where the BLM movement is gaining more of a platform I think it’s wrong to completely take away from someone’s experience and call it a lie. You don’t know the truth or what other people have went through. I agree that schools can have it’s faults but the extent wggs has and the lies they come up with to make it seem perfect is wrong. They need to start apologising and admitting their faults rather than punishing us. The allegations aren’t to be taken lightly or pushed under the rug .

I have faced some micro aggressions with certain teachers it made me uncomfortable but I am aware of how the word is towards me. So I am not entirely surprised that there are are more serious allegations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (32)
23.19%
Less motivated (106)
76.81%

Watched Threads