The Student Room Group

RAF Mechanic

So me and my boyfriend are 20, we both want to be Aircraft mechanics in the RAF. I'm just wondering how likely it would be for us to train together/be based together if we applied together?? I know about marriage quarters so living arrangements will have to be sorted another time. But just curious about the process?? Thanks all :smile:
Original post by hm.bored
So me and my boyfriend are 20, we both want to be Aircraft mechanics in the RAF. I'm just wondering how likely it would be for us to train together/be based together if we applied together?? I know about marriage quarters so living arrangements will have to be sorted another time. But just curious about the process?? Thanks all :smile:

Hi

The short answer is, it's highly unlikely you'll go through all stages of the application process, phase one and phase two training together. And then even less likely that you'll be posted to the same station (let alone Sqn) together. That's not how the military (not just the RAF) works.

Look at it this way, either one of you could have an issue at any stage of the application process that delays your entry. You could then have an issue in phase one training, that holds you back a graduation. You could then have an issue in phase two training, which again delays your graduation and posting.

Then, one trained, you'll be posted anywhere the RAF requires you to be. You can give a preference of where you'd like to go, but it will be down to what the RAF needs at the time as to where.

Also, from a relationship point of view, you're unlikely to get time together during phase one training. Only at the weekends you get during the course. And you're in separate blocks etc. Have you had a look at the phase one video diaries on our You Tube Channel?

Also, be aware that there is currently an 18 month wait time (without the Covid-19 issues) for entry for either Aircraft Technician role.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 2
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

The short answer is, it's highly unlikely you'll go through all stages of the application process, phase one and phase two training together. And then even less likely that you'll be posted to the same station (let alone Sqn) together. That's not how the military (not just the RAF) works.

Look at it this way, either one of you could have an issue at any stage of the application process that delays your entry. You could then have an issue in phase one training, that holds you back a graduation. You could then have an issue in phase two training, which again delays your graduation and posting.

Then, one trained, you'll be posted anywhere the RAF requires you to be. You can give a preference of where you'd like to go, but it will be down to what the RAF needs at the time as to where.

Also, from a relationship point of view, you're unlikely to get time together during phase one training. Only at the weekends you get during the course. And you're in separate blocks etc. Have you had a look at the phase one video diaries on our You Tube Channel?

Also, be aware that there is currently an 18 month wait time (without the Covid-19 issues) for entry for either Aircraft Technician role.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Thanks for this :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest