accusedsfalsely
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi,

I’m currently studying Civil Engineering and on track for a 2:2 in my final year. I want to apply for a PGCE in English.

I do want to apply for jobs in my sector but I want to be a teacher, I have a love for helping children succeed and feel like I’ll be a good teacher. I attained a C in English literature at A-Level. Unfortunately my home situation did not let me succeed in my academics as well as I wanted to four years ago, however I’ve learnt a lot and grown through what I’ve been through throughout the years.

Would this be possible?

Thank you for any help!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by accusedsfalsely)
Hi,

I’m currently studying Civil Engineering and on track for a 2:2 in my final year. I want to apply for a PGCE in English.

I do want to apply for jobs in my sector but I want to be a teacher, I have a love for helping children succeed and feel like I’ll be a good teacher. I attained a C in English literature at A-Level. Unfortunately my home situation did not let me succeed in my academics as well as I wanted to four years ago, however I’ve learnt a lot and grown through what I’ve been through throughout the years.

Would this be possible?

Thank you for any help!
Your username is a bit worrying for a prospective teacher...

Are you asking if you can become a teacher with a 2ii? If so, the answer, emphatically, is 'yes'! However, as your degree has nothing to do with the subject you want to teach, you'd need to do some sort of SKE course: you couldn't go straight into an English PGCE with a degree in civil engineering.

Do some research on SKE courses. Also, English is a competitive PGCE entry (cf. maths/physics) which makes it all the harder. Not wishing to put you off, but to be realistic and guide your research
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by accusedsfalsely)
Hi,

Would this be possible?

Thank you for any help!
Hello accusedsfalsely

When will you graduate? Are you a final year?

The entry requirements are that you have a degree, it doesn't specify what you've studied. However, many course providers will look for you to have sufficient subject knowledge. I highly recommend you call 0800 389 2500 (Mon - Fri, 8:30am-5pm) and talk your options through with a Teacher Training adviser.

All the best, Jane
JackDaltonFan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
What about teaching Maths or Physics?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes - maths and physics are far more in demand.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by JackDaltonFan)
What about teaching Maths or Physics?
What, with a civil engineering degree? That's far easier, as you would have covered a good deal of maths and physics in your degree and the need to do a SKE course is less pressing.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Get into Teaching)
However, many course providers will look for you to have sufficient subject knowledge.
Which are the course providers which would be happy for this candidate to undertake a PGCE in secondary English with a first degree in civil engineering then?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
SarcAndSpark
bwilliams
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You would struggle getting onto a PGCE in English without having some sort of English related qualification at degree level. SKE is available but you'd need to look into it. I'd reconsider and maybe go for a subject that is more closely aligned with your degree. Alternatively, you could opt for primary teaching which, obviously, includes English teaching.

(Original post by Reality Check)
Which are the course providers which would be happy for this candidate to undertake a PGCE in secondary English with a first degree in civil engineering then?
I think they were just being tentative in their answer. The majority of providers obviously wouldn't but it's impossible to have checked every provider to make a sweeping statement like that.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by bwilliams)
I think they were just being tentative in their answer. The majority of providers obviously wouldn't but it's impossible to have checked every provider to make a sweeping statement like that.
It wouldn't be a sweeping statement though: it would be a fact. No PGCE provider is going to offer someone with a first degree in civil engineering a place on a secondary PGCE English course without having done SKE course first. I don't see why an official rep, of all people, would want to be vague about this: it helps no-one.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Get into Teaching)
Hello accusedsfalsely

When will you graduate? Are you a final year?

The entry requirements are that you have a degree, it doesn't specify what you've studied. However, many course providers will look for you to have sufficient subject knowledge. I highly recommend you call 0800 389 2500 (Mon - Fri, 8:30am-5pm) and talk your options through with a Teacher Training adviser.

All the best, Jane

Yeah, FWIW, I agree with Reality Check on this. Nearly all unis have a requirement that your degree has 50% of the content relevant to the subject you want to teach. The courses they tend to waive this for are the ones they really struggle to fill- like maths and physics, and even then, they usually want some relevant qualifications in the subject.

They don't tend to offer SKEs to students with no relevant degree content for more popular courses like English, and if they did it would be a 24/28 week SKE which OP is fast running out of time to complete.

accusedsfalsely Based on my experience on applying to PGCEs with a slightly unusual degree, you are best to contact ITT (training) providers directly. Get into teaching won't be able to give you a list of providers who will accept you in this circumstance, but if you email unis etc directly they will be able to tell you at least whether they'd be likely to interview or not.

Is there a reason you wouldn't want to teach maths/physics? You may find any school that employs you will ask you about teaching KS3 maths at least.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (287)
55.73%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.27%

Watched Threads