The Student Room Group

English Literature Coursework

Hi, I've just started looking at texts for my English A level coursework. We have to chose one pre-21st century novel and one 21st century novel and compare them on a certain theme. I've chosen identity, with Brave New World as my pre-21st century novel. I'm looking at Craig DiLouie's One of Us for 21st century, but since it only came out two years ago and is technically in the horror genre, it fell under the radar slightly in terms of critical essays and reviews. Since I have lots of critical essays on Brave New World, should this be an issue? Has anyone written coursework on a fairly unknown novel? Is it a bad idea? I'm prepared to chose another 21st century novel if need be, but I'm really passionate about this book.
Reply 1
Hi, I did English A-Level under a different exam board, but we also did coursework. Honestly, researching and writing a quality essay was much easier when there were a lot of resources. However, note that you won't be using every single resource (it can act primarily to inform your argument), and that just means that you would need to interpret the text more yourself, which seems doable as you're already highly interested in the book. If you really like the text, do it (though I would recommend being able to access around 2-5 articles/critical essays on the text).

Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Thanks!! That really helps a lot :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest