RamRavishankar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I am Ram from New Zealand. I am interested to join Computing and software engineering course offered by University of Melbourne. I am currently studying Cambridge curriculum in one of the private school in New Zealand. I am planning to take following A level subjects1. Cambridge International As and A level -Computer science2. Cambridge International As and A level - Information technology3. Cambridge International As and A level - MathematicsIs theses 3 subjects is enough to get in to University of Melbourne? Could anybody please guide me to choose the subject. I really appreciate your time and effort. looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Could you send me the link to the course since the only course I can find is a major in computing and software systems?
RamRavishankar
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes that is the course “ major in computing and software systems” Kindly advise. Thank you
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by RamRavishankar)
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes that is the course “ major in computing and software systems” Kindly advise. Thank you
You will either need to do a bachelors of science or bachelor of science(extended) to do this as a major. For Bachelors of Science, you need a BCC:

"PREREQUISITES
These are the subjects (with minimum scores) you must have completed to be eligible for entry to this course.
Mathematics and one of Biology, Chemistry or Physics and an accepted AS Level English subject. A minimum of three A Levels is required and a grade of at least C is required in prerequisite subjects unless otherwise specified. Accepted GCE AS and A Level English subjectsare: General Paper, General Studies, English Language and Literature, English Literature, English Language. Singapore A Level subject Knowledge and Enquiry (H2) is also accepted. A grade of at least C is required to meet the University’s English language requirements."

According to this you need 3 A level subjects needing to have a grade of C or above. So you could do Maths A level, Science A level (which could be physics, biology or chemistry) and English A level or Maths A level, Science A level, Another A level (could be computer science) and English AS
RamRavishankar
Rep:
?
HiGood Morning. Thank you so much for clarifying our questions. Its very clear now. Very well explained. Could you please advise whether we need any extra curricular activities like they are asking in US universities?Also please explain us whether we have to write a personal statement letter written to UNI. How important is it?Do you recommend any links to find out how to write a good letter?How competitive it is to get into University of Melbourne.Kindly advise. We once again thank you very much for your time.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
HiGood Morning. Thank you so much for clarifying our questions. Its very clear now. Very well explained. Could you please advise whether we need any extra curricular activities like they are asking in US universities?Also please explain us whether we have to write a personal statement letter written to UNI. How important is it?Do you recommend any links to find out how to write a good letter?How competitive it is to get into University of Melbourne.Kindly advise. We once again thank you very much for your time.
UMelb is one of the top unis in Aus, so you will probably need to exceed the minimum entry criteria stated above. I can't really advise on any of the other queries as I've never applied to Aus unis - I would probably recommend you contact the university directly to ask for their position on e.g. extracurriculars etc.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
advise whether we need any extra curricular activities like they are asking in US universities?
It always helps
Also please explain us whether we have to write a personal statement letter written to UNI. How important is it?Do you recommend any links to find out how to write a good letter?
You'd do better consulting with your own school staff on this, given how many kiwis pop over to aussie to study they will know.
How competitive it is to get into University of Melbourne.
Very, its a world ranking university and extremely popular with both Australians and foreigners.
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I really dont know much about Australian unis but maybe look at some youtube videos on how people applied for Australian unis because there are bound to be some.
RamRavishankar
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
I really dont know much about Australian unis but maybe look at some youtube videos on how people applied for Australian unis because there are bound to be some.
Thank you so much for all your help. Will look into it.
RamRavishankar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
It always helps

You'd do better consulting with your own school staff on this, given how many kiwis pop over to aussie to study they will know.

Very, its a world ranking university and extremely popular with both Australians and foreigners.
Thank you so much for your reply Napp.
Could you please explain more
1. regarding University of Melbourne selection process.
2. What University of Melbourne selection committee is looking in particular for Bachelor of science (computer science and software system) major.
3. Will an application stand out if a candidate do some personal projects (related to computer science) in their high school level or that is not a big deal?
4. or they just look into ONLY our academic performance?
5. Can I take A level Cambridge curriculum in year 11 and finish few papers and rest in year 12? Because I heard some Universities only approve if a candidate take all papers in their final year. Say for instance, Math A level subject has 4 papers. Can I do 2 papers in Year 11 and 2 paper in year 12 and combine? Will that be allowed in University of Melbourne?
Kindly advise. Thank you so much
RamRavishankar
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
UMelb is one of the top unis in Aus, so you will probably need to exceed the minimum entry criteria stated above. I can't really advise on any of the other queries as I've never applied to Aus unis - I would probably recommend you contact the university directly to ask for their position on e.g. extracurriculars etc.
Thank you very much for your guidance. I will sure contact them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (393)
56.55%
I don't have everything I need (302)
43.45%

Watched Threads