The Student Room Group

Am I likely to be accepted as a Paramedic with a drink driving conviction?

I was banned in 2018 for drink driving but now I have my license back with 0 points.

I am looking at applying for a Paramedic Science degree in a couple of years after I have completed a HE diploma.

Has anyone gone through a similar experience? Does anyone know if I would be just be rejected due to the offence straight away?
By the looks of it, unfortunately they probably would reject you. This is from the West Midlands Ambulance Service Student Paramedic Info Pack:
"An individual who has received a drink driving conviction must declare this on their application form. DR10 convictions will not normally be accepted less than 11 years of the conviction date but individual circumstances will be considered."
Source: https://officialwmas.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/student-para-application-support-final-feb2019-.pdf

However, I would still contact the university as different ambulance services may have different rules on it
(edited 4 years ago)
Don't you just have to wait for it to get taken off of your record? I don't know how long it takes for that but 5 years is the number that popped into my head
Reply 3
Original post by JamesL101
Don't you just have to wait for it to get taken off of your record? I don't know how long it takes for that but 5 years is the number that popped into my head

Some offences stay on the licence for 4 years; but others (including drink-driving) stay on the licence for 11 years.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/endorsement-codes-and-penalty-points
Reply 4
Aye, I'm in the same boat. It is certainly possible as I had it in 2015 and still managed to get in. Some trusts like east of England gave me the boot, but apply through the uni rather than the trust itself.
Original post by Gar18q
Aye, I'm in the same boat. It is certainly possible as I had it in 2015 and still managed to get in. Some trusts like east of England gave me the boot, but apply through the uni rather than the trust itself.

Are you saying that you declared your drink driving conviction to your university as part of the screening questions which form part of your application and you were accepted for the course nonetheless?
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
Are you saying that you declared your drink driving conviction to your university as part of the screening questions which form part of your application and you were accepted for the course nonetheless?

that is indeed what I am saying. Just be as honest as you can. Obviously if it's spent still declare it as they ad for spent and unspent criminal convictions. They will then have a separate interview to discuss it. Hope that helps
Original post by Gar18q
that is indeed what I am saying. Just be as honest as you can. Obviously if it's spent still declare it as they ad for spent and unspent criminal convictions. They will then have a separate interview to discuss it. Hope that helps

It wasn't for me, but thanks for the clarification for others :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest