Miakat1602
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Magnesium nitrate is used in fertilisers as a source of nitrogen.
(a)* A student plans to prepare 250.0cm3 of a 0.4000moldm–3 solution of magnesium nitrate, starting from magnesium nitrate crystals, Mg(NO3)2•6H2O.
Describe how the student would prepare the solution, giving full details of quantities, apparatus and method. [6 marks]
MadisonH2018
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi, I'm struggling with this question too, did you get the answer?
Ben-Hassen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Miakat1602)
(a)* A student plans to prepare 250.0cm3 of a 0.4000moldm–3 solution of magnesium nitrate, starting from magnesium nitrate crystals, Mg(NO3)2•6H2O.
Describe how the student would prepare the solution, giving full details of quantities, apparatus and method. [6 marks]
I'll answer the part on the quantity, you should already have an understanding of the method, just don't forget to add the thing you're doing the method with. E.g. Step one would be to measure the solid accurately [with a mass balance].
But as for what to do with the numbers. Basically, you want to find out what mass you're starting with. To do that you have a volume (250.0 cm3) and a concentration (0.4 moldm-3). The equation you should know is moles= conc. x volume. The volume needs to be in dm3 though so:
250/1000 x 0.4 = 0.1 mol.
Then you multiply the moles(0.1) by the Mr of the solid which should be 148.3. The final answer should be you need to start with 14.83g of solid Magnesium Nitrate.
Hope that helped any others who had this homework as well. It took a bit to realise it for me as well lol.
gg170
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Miakat1602)
Where did u get the 2019 paper from ?
Davies Chemistry
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ben-Hassen)
I'll answer the part on the quantity, you should already have an understanding of the method, just don't forget to add the thing you're doing the method with. E.g. Step one would be to measure the solid accurately [with a mass balance].
But as for what to do with the numbers. Basically, you want to find out what mass you're starting with. To do that you have a volume (250.0 cm3) and a concentration (0.4 moldm-3). The equation you should know is moles= conc. x volume. The volume needs to be in dm3 though so:
250/1000 x 0.4 = 0.1 mol.
Then you multiply the moles(0.1) by the Mr of the solid which should be 148.3. The final answer should be you need to start with 14.83g of solid Magnesium Nitrate.
Hope that helped any others who had this homework as well. It took a bit to realise it for me as well lol.
Be careful. The Mr of Mg(NO3)2 is 148.3 but you are dealing with the hydrated solid Mg(NO3)2.6H2O so the Mr is 148.3 + (6 x 18) =256.2
So you need to add 25.6 g of the solid.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.94%
Virtual campus tours/open days (111)
23.17%
Live streaming events (44)
9.19%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (46)
9.6%
A uni comparison tool (109)
22.76%
An in-person event when available (107)
22.34%