Miakat1602
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(b) Hex-1-ene is a liquid with a boiling point of 63°C and a density of 0.67gcm–3.
Hex-1-ene can be prepared by refluxing hexan-1-ol (boiling point 157 °C) with an acid catalyst. Hexan-1-ol is a liquid with a boiling point of 157°C and a density of 0.82gcm–3.
The equation is shown below.
Hexan-1-ol= Hex-1-ene+ H2O
After reflux, the resulting mixture contains unreacted hexan-1-ol, hex-1-ene and water.
The mixture is then purified.
The expected percentage yield of hex-1-ene from hexan-1-ol is 62.5%. (i)* A student plans to prepare 4.20 g of hex-1-ene by this method.
Calculate the mass of hexan-1-ol that the student should use and explain how you could obtain pure hex-1-ene from the mixture obtained after reflux.
Melodyharmony
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Miakat1602)
(b) Hex-1-ene is a liquid with a boiling point of 63°C and a density of 0.67gcm–3.
Hex-1-ene can be prepared by refluxing hexan-1-ol (boiling point 157 °C) with an acid catalyst. Hexan-1-ol is a liquid with a boiling point of 157°C and a density of 0.82gcm–3.
After reflux, the resulting mixture contains unreacted hexan-1-ol, hex-1-ene and water.
The expected percentage yield of hex-1-ene from hexan-1-ol is 62.5%. (i)* A student plans to prepare 4.20 g of hex-1-ene by this method.
Calculate the mass of hexan-1-ol that the student should use and explain how you could obtain pure hex-1-ene from the mixture obtained after reflux.
1 mole of hexanol reacts with 1 mol of hexene.

Given 4.2g of hexene, find its mole.
Then use the percentage yield formula to find actual yield.

The mole of actual yield will be the mole of hexanol reacted.

Use this to find the mass of hexanol reacted

Pure hexene is obtained by distillation.
Bigman123456
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
I have the problem answering the same problem, and I still can't figure it out, Can you please explain in detail how to solve this question?
jfj_729
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi Can u please tell me where you got this question from?

I'll be able to tell you then
bumblebee1506
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  180.9 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (65)
21.96%
Excited but a bit nervous (134)
45.27%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.16%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.61%

Watched Threads