The Student Room Group

Revision

Specifically for GCSE's, what would you say the best revision methods and tips are?
Reply 1
Original post by FrazzMac
Specifically for GCSE's, what would you say the best revision methods and tips are?

I would say past papers but it all depends on how you like to revise
I agree, past papers are the proven way to improve grades. Then, revising the weaker parts. I would also say, research has shown that variety in revision methods has been shown to improve longer-term motivation and success
Reply 3
Depends on the subject tbh

Sciences- I do the Seneca course alongside a textbook and the specification and make flash cards with questions on one side and answers on the back. I think it’s vital you make notes directly from the spec because often teachers miss things out etc and I do it with Seneca and textbooks just because they make the wording easier to understand. Free science lessons is good just to review knowledge. Once you’ve learnt the content on your flash cards then move on to past papers and aiming for top grades the grade 9 question books are helpful.

English lit- make notes of key quotes you’ve highlighted from the text as you go along and then once you’ve finished the text pick key quotes and separate them into theme or topic etc. Then I take each quote and select the key word from eg “kill Claudio” key word is kill then take the first letter k and create a mnemonic and learn that and this is the easiest way to condense quotes I find.

English lang- practise the questions and creative writing that’s all you can do

Maths- Dr frost maths!!!!!

History (if you take it)- I think the Seneca courses are really good for history and alongside a quizlet with key dates on it that should be good for learning content. Then just practise questions and read the examiners report from the year before to see what most people did well and didn’t do well.

Language(if you take one)- memrise for vocab I personally think it’s much better than quizlet. Practise listening papers doesn’t matter what exam board just to practise listening. Languages online is good for help with grammar and will help in your writing and then just memorise off by heart some top level 9 phrases that will boost your marks in writing and speaking.

If there are any more subjects you want to know about I did rs and pe as well
Hope this is helpful :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by f15es1
Depends on the subject tbh

Sciences- I do the Seneca course alongside a textbook and the specification and make flash cards with questions on one side and answers on the back. I think it’s vital you make notes directly from the spec because often teachers miss things out etc and I do it with Seneca and textbooks just because they make the wording easier to understand. Free science lessons is good just to review knowledge. Once you’ve learnt the content on your flash cards then move on to past papers and aiming for top grades the grade 9 question books are helpful.

English lit- make notes of key quotes you’ve highlighted from the text as you go along and then once you’ve finished the text pick key quotes and separate them into theme or topic etc. Then I take each quote and select the key word from eg “kill Claudio” key word is kill then take the first letter k and create a mnemonic and learn that and this is the easiest way to condense quotes I find.

English lang- practise the questions and creative writing that’s all you can do

Maths- Dr frost maths!!!!!

History (if you take it)- I think the Seneca courses are really good for history and alongside a quizlet with key dates on it that should be good for learning content. Then just practise questions and read the examiners report from the year before to see what most people did well and didn’t do well.

Language(if you take one)- memrise for vocab I personally think it’s much better than quizlet. Practise listening papers doesn’t matter what exam board just to practise listening. Languages online is good for help with grammar and will help in your writing and then just memorise off by heart some top level 9 phrases that will boost your marks in writing and speaking.

If there are any more subjects you want to know about I did rs and pe as well
Hope this is helpful :smile:

Thanks for this really great answer!
Original post by FrazzMac

Hi @FrazzMac!

Our team have created a thread of some of our top tips for revising and studying at home. If you look at my comment (it says Erin at the end), I wrote a specific bit for those who struggle to teach themselves/revise/complete assignments and I think this advice might be best suited for you.

I hope this advice works for you!

Erin - Official Student Rep
Reply 6
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi @FrazzMac!

Our team have created a thread of some of our top tips for revising and studying at home. If you look at my comment (it says Erin at the end), I wrote a specific bit for those who struggle to teach themselves/revise/complete assignments and I think this advice might be best suited for you.

I hope this advice works for you!

Erin - Official Student Rep

Thanks, I've read the thread and it was really helpful!

Quick Reply