Students and Universal Credit

Watch this thread
Billie-34
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm a older student who is hoping to be starting a access to higher education course this year. I'm currently in a relationship (partner works full time) and we get universal credit top up as I have 4 children.

Our relationship has been quiet on/off so I'm just wondering about the financial situation if we split during this course. My children are aged between 17 and 9 and I've read that I would be able to claim universal credit still but would I have to be seeking work if I was single on this course as I don't think I would be able to manage college/studying and managing the kids and working. I have suffered with depression in the past and the situation worries me.

Are there any students here who are a single parent to kids over 5 that don't work and are on a access to higher education course that can give any advice?
Lizzillo
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I'm a parent on a full time uni degree course and I get Student Finance and Universal Credit.

Apply for SF if you can, you'll get some money to help pay for the course and living expenses.

As for UC, you still qualify for it as a student and a parent. You don't have to look for work as they class education as a full time job. However, they class some SF grants/loans as take home pay, so the amount of UC is dependent on them. So you should only have to worry about studying and the kids. You'd only need a job if you have huge expenses.

For UC, as you know its based on household, so if you split simply change your circumstances to single and you with the kids, and you should still get some UC help (you'd still probably still get UC help together as a student). But I'd recommend trying Student Finance as the loans don't need to be repayed until you earn over £26k, and even then it's a low amount (if you earn £30k a year, you'd repay £400 that year) and they don't affect credit scores. This could help you pay for the course and extra stuff. Good luck.
Billie-34
Rep:
(Original post by Lizzillo)
I'm a parent on a full time uni degree course and I get Student Finance and Universal Credit.

Apply for SF if you can, you'll get some money to help pay for the course and living expenses.

As for UC, you still qualify for it as a student and a parent. You don't have to look for work as they class education as a full time job. However, they class some SF grants/loans as take home pay, so the amount of UC is dependent on them. So you should only have to worry about studying and the kids. You'd only need a job if you have huge expenses.

For UC, as you know its based on household, so if you split simply change your circumstances to single and you with the kids, and you should still get some UC help (you'd still probably still get UC help together as a student). But I'd recommend trying Student Finance as the loans don't need to be repayed until you earn over £26k, and even then it's a low amount (if you earn £30k a year, you'd repay £400 that year) and they don't affect credit scores. This could help you pay for the course and extra stuff. Good luck.
Thanks for your reply. Can you get student finance for access to higher education or is it only when you start uni? Also I was reading on the internet that college does not count as a job and they expect people to still look for work so that's good to know this is not the case.
Lizzillo
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan
https://www.ucas.com/advanced-learner-loans
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

This is for college courses, including Access, you'll need to look into a bit more but it says you'd get something (I'm presuming you're in England).

If you want a degree, have a look at foundation courses as they tie into degrees (making the degree 4 years instead of 3) and you'd qualify for full SF, depending if you are part time or full time). If you get the Advanced Learner Loan, you can get SF, so it may be worth looking at both to see which gets you more, and thinking carefully about the course you want and what you want at the end - degree, diploma, apprenticeship etc.
Billie-34
Rep:
(Original post by Lizzillo)
https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan
https://www.ucas.com/advanced-learner-loans
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

This is for college courses, including Access, you'll need to look into a bit more but it says you'd get something (I'm presuming you're in England).

If you want a degree, have a look at foundation courses as they tie into degrees (making the degree 4 years instead of 3) and you'd qualify for full SF, depending if you are part time or full time). If you get the Advanced Learner Loan, you can get SF, so it may be worth looking at both to see which gets you more, and thinking carefully about the course you want and what you want at the end - degree, diploma, apprenticeship etc.
Thanks. I'm going to be going on to access to higher education in nursing then hopefully on to uni for adult nursing.

Yes I'm in England.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (146)
42.44%
Not yet, but I will soon (62)
18.02%
No (136)
39.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed