The Student Room Group

Ask a Vet Med Student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by treetops12
I'm not a Notts student but I've firmed an offer there for April next year. I did English literature as my third a-level and got three of my four vet med offers, and was waitlisted for the fourth, so I wouldn't worry about not having maths. For Surrey, it is true that they started interviewing people very early (in October I believe), but they finished at the end of January. I had my interview at the beginning of January, and it was my second interview, my first being Nottingham. I can't say too much about the interviews, but I can say that out of the three interviews I had (Bristol don't interview), they were all completely different. Also, I didn't have any MMI practice before my Surrey interview, and it didn't affect me at all. If your school doesn't offer any help with practice interviews, then I suggest having a look at the interview preparation thread on here and compile a list of common questions that you will get in an interview (I don't feel like at any of my interviews I was under-prepared, as all the questions that came up I had anticipated would be asked), then you can get friends or family to ask you them, under timed conditions if you like. As long as you're confident and you know your stuff, you should be fine!

Notts is pretty much the same as most unis where you live in halls during year one then move out into the surroundings towns. It's also part-catered, which is something that quite appealed to me, as it means you get an evening meal Monday-Friday, but then have to cook for yourself at weekends. I felt like this was a nice way to get that independence of cooking for yourself (as I would have gone for self-catered at other unis), but then during the week when you have had long days and are still finding your feet, you don't have to worry about cooking. It also means you get both the social experience of eating in catered halls, and the experience of cooking with the people in your flat xx

Thanks so much this has given me a lot more confidence about not doing maths for my third A-level. and Congrats on getting so many offers that's amazing! I think I will just be forcing my mum to give me some practice interviews lol.

I actually like the sound of the SB accommodation cause I know cooking for yourself in first year can be a bit of a drag but then having your shared kitchen is quite social and fun.

Did you ever think about getting accommodation on the main campus and commuting to SB for teaching, cause you could mix with lots of people from different courses as well as making it easier to play sports etc. Or is this something that no one really tends to do? xx
Are there any RVC students/ offer holders here??
Original post by ck_morris02
Thanks so much this has given me a lot more confidence about not doing maths for my third A-level. and Congrats on getting so many offers that's amazing! I think I will just be forcing my mum to give me some practice interviews lol.

I actually like the sound of the SB accommodation cause I know cooking for yourself in first year can be a bit of a drag but then having your shared kitchen is quite social and fun.

Did you ever think about getting accommodation on the main campus and commuting to SB for teaching, cause you could mix with lots of people from different courses as well as making it easier to play sports etc. Or is this something that no one really tends to do? xx

I never really considered it tbh, and I'm not entirely sure whether that is something that you can do, so you may want to ask @123vet, as I think if you are a vet you may have to live on SB regardless. I totally understand the desire to want to mix with people from other courses as that was something that I really wanted, and so was one of the biggest cons for Notts for me. If you are in the September cohort, you will be living with people doing the other courses on SB (there are a few others but I can't remember what they are), however for April cohort you are just with vets.
When I was initially looking at unis, the opportunity to mix with people on other courses was one of the most important things for me, and was one of the reasons why I liked Edinburgh the best. However when I was waitlisted for Edinburgh and needed to pick between my other offers, I ended up choosing Notts, even though it was the only one that didn't offer that complete mixing of students! I ended up loving the feel and vibe of Notts when I went to the interview (much more than I did at the open day), as the interview day was so fun and gave great opportunities to talk to students and staff, and in the end it was that feeling that won me over.

I don't really play sports so that isn't as big of a thing for me, but at uni you get Wednesday afternoons off, which most people use to go to the main campus for sports. There is also a gym opposite the SB campus, and if you are really into sports then I would again suggest applying for only September as it will make it slightly easier to join the vet sports teams etc xx
I think nutrition and brewing are at SB so there was mention of lots of cake and beer on our open day tour
It is really interesting to hear people’s different experiences of interviews. DD hated hers at Notts - they definitely did not bring out the best in her and it finally resulted in a rejection after a long wait. On the other hand she really enjoyed the Cambridge ones - made them laugh, had good discussions, felt comfortable there.
Original post by ReadingMum
It is really interesting to hear people’s different experiences of interviews. DD hated hers at Notts - they definitely did not bring out the best in her and it finally resulted in a rejection after a long wait. On the other hand she really enjoyed the Cambridge ones - made them laugh, had good discussions, felt comfortable there.

Notts interview was very strange for me too - think as a resit candidate with an unusual application my experience may have been slightly different as for the physical interview this was carried out in the dean of the vet schools office with him (could have just been coincidence). They were very welcoming but this was my first interview and was very nervous - got an offer but did not feel I was anywhere near my best.

RVC was perhaps my favourite interview process - very warm and welcoming and multiple stations - some of which did feel entirely irrelevant to vet school even though I can see the aim they were going for I do feel they missed slightly

Liverpool was very similar to RVC - I will never think the crypt is a great place to hold interviews (or exams for that matter!) but the process was very good, staff super supportive and plenty of students on hand for tours and questions after unlike the other unis.
Reply 86
Original post by treetops12
I never really considered it tbh, and I'm not entirely sure whether that is something that you can do, so you may want to ask @123vet, as I think if you are a vet you may have to live on SB regardless. I totally understand the desire to want to mix with people from other courses as that was something that I really wanted, and so was one of the biggest cons for Notts for me. If you are in the September cohort, you will be living with people doing the other courses on SB (there are a few others but I can't remember what they are), however for April cohort you are just with vets.
When I was initially looking at unis, the opportunity to mix with people on other courses was one of the most important things for me, and was one of the reasons why I liked Edinburgh the best. However when I was waitlisted for Edinburgh and needed to pick between my other offers, I ended up choosing Notts, even though it was the only one that didn't offer that complete mixing of students! I ended up loving the feel and vibe of Notts when I went to the interview (much more than I did at the open day), as the interview day was so fun and gave great opportunities to talk to students and staff, and in the end it was that feeling that won me over.

I don't really play sports so that isn't as big of a thing for me, but at uni you get Wednesday afternoons off, which most people use to go to the main campus for sports. There is also a gym opposite the SB campus, and if you are really into sports then I would again suggest applying for only September as it will make it slightly easier to join the vet sports teams etc xx

Hi :smile: so @ck_morris02 in theory there is nothing to stop you living on main campus and commuting to SB, but in practice no one really seems to do it. I think the commute would be a bit of a drag especially considering the long days, and having to travel ultimately cuts out your free time.

I think that living on main campus would make it hard to be part of the social scene on SB, so it would mean sacrificing doing things with friends from your course - this wouldn't be something that I personally would want to do. I think realistically you can live on SB and still take advantage of the opportunities (sports and societies) on main campus so it doesn't stop you making friends outside your course.

I also don't think being on SB is like only being with vets - obviously this is potentially an issue for the April cohort, but as I'm a September student I can certainly say I have friends outside my course who are studying other subjects on SB (dietetics, plant/animal sciences etc.). If you want to meet people on an even wider range of courses there's nothing stopping you from joining societies on main campus or going to social events like Ward Round etc. where you mix with medics, dentists, nurses, midwives etc. :smile:

As for sports on SB, yes, there is a gym on campus. It has everything we need and although it's not massive I've never found it to be too busy. If you get a gym membership this will also cover you for facilities on other campuses so if you want to do something specific (e.g. climbing) you can go to main campus and it won't cost you extra to use their gym and equipment.

There are plans for vet sports clubs to run over the summer for the April cohort, but if you are really serious about sport then I would agree and say perhaps consider applying for the September cohort, especially in the early years of the April cohort being a thing.

Hope this helps xx
Reply 87
Original post by TheWannabeFarmer
Notts interview was very strange for me too - think as a resit candidate with an unusual application my experience may have been slightly different as for the physical interview this was carried out in the dean of the vet schools office with him (could have just been coincidence). They were very welcoming but this was my first interview and was very nervous - got an offer but did not feel I was anywhere near my best.

RVC was perhaps my favourite interview process - very warm and welcoming and multiple stations - some of which did feel entirely irrelevant to vet school even though I can see the aim they were going for I do feel they missed slightly

Liverpool was very similar to RVC - I will never think the crypt is a great place to hold interviews (or exams for that matter!) but the process was very good, staff super supportive and plenty of students on hand for tours and questions after unlike the other unis.

Yes I think how people feel about interviews is a very personal thing - depends how you felt on the day and in some cases the outcome.

I have largely positive thoughts about each vet school that I interviewed at, but that might of course have been different if I had later been rejected by them, or if on the day I was not satisfied that I had done my best.

The biggest thing I would say to prospective applicants is try not to be put off by what you hear from others about interviews at each place. I remember before I went for some of mine, I heard from others "I found that place really hard" or "the interviewers at [x vet school] were really mean" and all the rest of it - when I had actually been to those places, I had a completely different outlook to that others had and really enjoyed an interview I had been told I would find horrible and impossible.

So remember it's all personal opinion and that different places suit different people - that's how we end up at the vet school that is the best fit for each of us :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 123vet
Yes I think how people feel about interviews is a very personal thing - depends how you felt on the day and in some cases the outcome.

I have largely positive thoughts about each vet school that I interviewed at, but that might of course have been different if I had later been rejected by them, or if on the day I was not satisfied that I had done my best.

The biggest thing I would say to prospective applicants is try not to be put off by what you hear from others about interviews at each place. I remember before I went for some of mine, I heard from others "I found that place really hard" or "the interviewers at [x vet school] were really mean" and all the rest of it - when I had actually been to those places, I had a completely different outlook to that others had and really enjoyed an interview I had been told I would find horrible and impossible.

So remember it's all personal opinion and that different places suit different people - that's how we end up at the vet school that is the best fit for each of us :smile:

Absolutely - however the post was about personal experiences and those are mine :smile: - overall a positive experience and offers from all but each was a vastly different experience to me
Reply 89
Absolutely - however the post was about personal experiences and those are mine :smile: - overall a positive experience and offers from all but each was a vastly different experience to me

Yes absolutely and completely fair of you to share 👍🏻 Just wanted to chip in because I think as an applicant it's really easy to read a bit too much into these things and stress yourself out when you don't need to (I know I certainly did lol😂)
@Vetgirl07 How many weeks worth of work experience do cambridge vets typically have before getting an offer?
Original post by anasaleem039
@Vetgirl07 How many weeks worth of work experience do cambridge vets typically have before getting an offer?

I can’t say for certain as I’m not currently a student but I’m sure that they would have a decent amount as they need to apply to other vet schools- their total would most likely range from 5 weeks to 20+ weeks but at Cambridge they’re much more interested in lateral thinking, what topics work experience has led you on to do and your response to difficult science questions etc. I had about 7 weeks total but they never actually asked how much I’d got, they knew I had done a few placements by looking at my personal statement but at no point did I have to state exactly how many weeks I had. In theory, I may have still got my offer if I had only got the work experience that I mentioned on the condition that I was fully prepared to be grilled on what I had put down!

If you’re worried about not having much to write about on your personal statement due to placements being cancelled this year then you could do research on what you would have seen on your placements and learn about the husbandry and ethics on them. I’m not an expert on personal statements but you could probably word it as something like “after my placement on a dairy farm was cancelled I read [book about farming] to learn about the difficulties that farmers face. This included physical labour and common illnesses such as mastitis and complications during calving” etc. This will show that you made an effort to learn and can do this independently- I’m sure that all vet schools will really like this!
Hiya has anyone ever thought about/known someone who has become an army vet? It seems really interesting and they pay part of your uni fees so if anyone has any info on it/how to do it that would be great thank!
Original post by The Alice
Hiya has anyone ever thought about/known someone who has become an army vet? It seems really interesting and they pay part of your uni fees so if anyone has any info on it/how to do it that would be great thank!

I know a few people at the moment who are looking into it (in vet school) and have been told currently the Veterinary corps isn't actually recruiting so for now they would have to go work in general practice until vacancies appear - I believe they pay for part of the final year so I wouldn't let this info put you off as by the time you reached that stage the situation could well have changed. The army careers office would definitely not be a bad contact they could likely advise further or put you in contact with someone who can.

I know new grads with them seem to have a good experience and are exposed to lots of work - Army vets spend a lot of time in charity practices within the UK gaining that surgical experience required to be a competent vet as a new graduate. Similarly you would undergo their officer training - which if you're into the army aspect must be an amazing opportunity also!
I know a few people at the moment who are looking into it (in vet school) and have been told currently the Veterinary corps isn't actually recruiting so for now they would have to go work in general practice until vacancies appear - I believe they pay for part of the final year so I wouldn't let this info put you off as by the time you reached that stage the situation could well have changed. The army careers office would definitely not be a bad contact they could likely advise further or put you in contact with someone who can.

I know new grads with them seem to have a good experience and are exposed to lots of work - Army vets spend a lot of time in charity practices within the UK gaining that surgical experience required to be a competent vet as a new graduate. Similarly you would undergo their officer training - which if you're into the army aspect must be an amazing opportunity also!

Ah ok that’s really interesting that they currently aren’t recruiting. It would be a great opportunity and will definitely look further into it. Thanks!:smile:
Bristol vet students - any advice on how essential it is to have a driving licence for EMS and, later, on call duties please. Daughters test has been postponed due to covid and unsure if will be able to sit it before terms starts 😔
Original post by Mumofhopefulvet
Bristol vet students - any advice on how essential it is to have a driving licence for EMS and, later, on call duties please. Daughters test has been postponed due to covid and unsure if will be able to sit it before terms starts 😔

Not a Bristol student but can answer really very essential for EMS - placements can be sorted without but it becomes far more of a struggle. Most husbandry placements are out in the countryside away from public transport links. It certainly can be done without but I wouldn't recommend that myself.

I wouldn't worry about on call or rotations that won't be for many years it will be sorted by then :smile:
Reply 97
I agree, much easier if you have a car. That said I don’t and a few of my friends can’t drive/afford cars and we’re managing - you just have to be strategic about which placements you go for. If you pick places with accommodation on site, then the only journeys you have to worry about are at the start/end of your placement so not as much stress as having to find a way in each day. Otherwise you can always think about going in a pair with a friend who can drive and just pay your way for petrol and that.

All vet schools have lots of placement data and will be able to help your daughter sort out places according to her situation I’m sure :smile: xx
Not a Bristol student but can answer really very essential for EMS - placements can be sorted without but it becomes far more of a struggle. Most husbandry placements are out in the countryside away from public transport links. It certainly can be done without but I wouldn't recommend that myself.

I wouldn't worry about on call or rotations that won't be for many years it will be sorted by then :smile:

Thank you 🙂
Original post by 123vet
I agree, much easier if you have a car. That said I don’t and a few of my friends can’t drive/afford cars and we’re managing - you just have to be strategic about which placements you go for. If you pick places with accommodation on site, then the only journeys you have to worry about are at the start/end of your placement so not as much stress as having to find a way in each day. Otherwise you can always think about going in a pair with a friend who can drive and just pay your way for petrol and that.

All vet schools have lots of placement data and will be able to help your daughter sort out places according to her situation I’m sure :smile: xx

Thank you🙂 xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending