maper9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, I've been really stuck between my Durham and Bristol offers for English Lit / English for so long, and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on pros and cons of each?? Any help at all would be hugely appreciated
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by maper9)
Hi, I've been really stuck between my Durham and Bristol offers for English Lit / English for so long, and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on pros and cons of each?? Any help at all would be hugely appreciated
Bristol will have a muchhhh better nightlife, but English is Durham's top degree (almost as competitive Oxbridge usually) so that might tempt you, some people will care others don't
maper9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
Bristol will have a muchhhh better nightlife, but English is Durham's top degree (almost as competitive Oxbridge usually) so that might tempt you, some people will care others don't
yeah that's what has really torn me, Bristol as a city is so appealing and had that gut feeling but academically Durham feels hard to turn down... thank you!
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I’d go for Durham because it’s more prestigious. Plus nightlife in Newcastle is supposed to be good and it’s only a short train away
kenzAE.
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by maper9)
Hey I would say that depends on what university means for you. I'm also doing English lit and its my passion so I went for the most competitive universities (including Durham) and Durham outranks Oxbridge for English.

I mean I guess if I had to pros and cons id say for durham
PRO it's a lot more prestigious and highly rated uni by employers
PRO it's got a SICK night life organised by the uni like events and stuff BUT bristol's night life goes beyond that
CON everyone is automatically and endlessly going to assume you're a bitter Oxbridge reject

Bristol is sick. It's really cool and artsy and I've got loads of friends who've attended. The city is sick so is the art scene but it tends to be extolled much less than Durham like in my school it gets scoffed at quite a bit on an academic basis but then again I don't know.

for both of them I would say that you're definitely going to have to be ready for major public skl vibes which can either be a good or bad thing. I'm from a public school myself but while it doesn't bother me I can definitely see how if you're not accustomed to it it can be so jarring and I guess it's sort of carried further in Durham because Durham's arguably a fairly elitist institution already so that like made worse in student dynamics.

Dealer's from london have a straight journey once a week to Durham so depending on how u perceive that it can either be a pro or con but i mean if its a con its easy to ignore. I would recommend Durham personally just for the academic side.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads