A level Early Modern History - Tudors, Stuarts & Louis XIV Vs A level Ancient History

Watch
DeItaReality
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I want to know if anyone did these courses at a level and how was it when studying it? Which one is easy/harder? Did anyone get offers from Russel group universities? Is the content hard?
ImaraMwadzaya
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by DeItaReality)
I want to know if anyone did these courses at a level and how was it when studying it? Which one is easy/harder? Did anyone get offers from Russel group universities? Is the content hard?
I'm studying the Stuart Dynasty and tbh it can be a bit tedious. However, it's relatively easy to split up thematically and the essay structures aren't too difficult to understand. In terms of offers etc, I don't even know if I'll be pursuing history at degree level but it's still an option. I guess what really matters is what you feel comfortable doing as you'll be more motivated to actually put the work in.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I would note that if your aim is to do a history degree, universities usually expect A-level History (i.e. the first option) rather than A-level Ancient History as a prerequisite (conversely ancient history degrees are usually less fussy about what you take). I assume the methods of analysing historical sources in "modern" (i.e. non-ancient) history are a bit different to the approaches to ancient texts taken by an ancient history course, is the reason for this.
username2244141
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I did both, and I got into a Russel Group uni! I agree with the above, though, that even if you chose Ancient History at uni, they don't require the A Level - more want History. It really depends on which you'd find more interesting to do, because interest can affect how well you do. Ancient History requires more work on primary sources, but if you like the content it can be fun.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (602)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (738)
41.62%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (353)
19.91%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.51%

Watched Threads