The Student Room Group

Law Oxford Personal Statement

Hello,
I am currently in Year 12, however I was wondering whether I would be penalised for writing about popular law books in my personal statement.

I was considering writing about
" Trials of the State: Law and the Decline of Politics"
"The Rule of Law"
and maybe "The Theory of Justice"- however this seems complex
Thanks
No you won't be 'penalised', not really how it works I don't think?
I don't think we yet have an Oxford Demystified for Law do we @Oxford Mum?
Original post by harrysbar
I don't think we yet have an Oxford Demystified for Law do we @Oxford Mum?

No, but one is in preparation.

I would say, if a certain book inspired you, mention it, but say why it did, and if it led you to further research. Do not just list the books, please!

How about this book (free on Kindle unlimited)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Law-School-Personal-Statement-Handbook-ebook/dp/B01LTGV6BK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=law+personal+statements&qid=1587622801&sr=8-3

It gives guidelines on how to write a law personal statement.

Even better, you can look at past law personal statements on TSR FOR FREE!

You see the little tabs at the top of the page? Click on "applying to uni". A whole "personal statement" section will come up.

Look at past PSs by going to "personal statements by subject". Then you can look at what each applicant wrote, and where they got offers and rejections in. Compare and contrast the Oxford ones by looking at the style and the types of things they mention, just to get a feel of it.

But obviously DO NOT PLAGIARISE.

If you don't know where to start, click on the "personal statement builder" bit.

And if you want your PS checking, DON'T SEND IT TO A THREAD ON TSR. If you do, it is open to plagiarism itself, and you will have to write it ALL OVER AGAIN.

Instead there are actual PS checkers on TSR, but as I say ask how you can get it checked by asking community staff.

TSR has some of the best PS features anywhere on the web, so take full advantage of this!

I am personally not a snob about which books you mention, as long as you can justify why it was worth reading. What I would like to see, is a genuine passion for your subject and how you pursued it. In law you have to convince people to your way of thinking, and so please present a well crafted and thought out (doesn't need to be full of flowery words) account of why a career in law is what you want. Just be yourself and keep it straightforward yet compelling.

For some reason I can't tag the OP.
Original post by Oxford Mum

I would say, if a certain book inspired you, mention it, but say why it did, and if it led you to further research. Do not just list the books, please!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Law-School-Personal-Statement-Handbook-ebook/dp/B01LTGV6BK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=law+personal+statements&qid=1587622801&sr=8-3

You see the little tabs at the top of the page? Click on "applying to uni". A whole "personal statement" section will come up.

Look at past PSs by going to "personal statements by subject". Then you can look at what each applicant wrote, and where they got offers and rejections in. Compare and contrast the Oxford ones by looking at the style and the types of things they mention, just to get a feel of it.

If you don't know where to start, click on the "personal statement builder" bit.

And if you want your PS checking, DON'T SEND IT TO A THREAD ON TSR. If you do, it is open to plagiarism itself, and you will have to write it ALL OVER AGAIN.

Instead there are actual PS checkers on TSR, but as I say ask how you can get it checked by asking community staff.

TSR has some of the best PS features anywhere on the web, so take full advantage of this!

I am personally not a snob about which books you mention, as long as you can justify why it was worth reading. What I would like to see, is a genuine passion for your subject and how you pursued it. In law you have to convince people to your way of thinking, and so please present a well crafted and thought out (doesn't need to be full of flowery words) account of why a career in law is what you want. Just be yourself and keep it straightforward yet compelling.

PRSOM - I should have saved my rep for something serious not because I laughed at a comment you made on another thread about grass in sandwiches :biggrin:

I will tag the OP for you @funim
Original post by harrysbar
PRSOM - I should have saved my rep for something serious not because I laughed at a comment you made on another thread about grass in sandwiches :biggrin:

I will tag the OP for you @funim

Thanks
Original post by Oxford Mum

I personally included quite popular books and got an interview from Oxford. As you say I don’t think it really matters as long as you actually explain what you got from the books!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending