Starting to struggle a little.

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi there,

So its week 5 or so into lockdown, and for the most part i've been okay. Doing everything I can to raise morale. I am not bored, and the lockdown itself does not bother me.

It's what happens next.

I've struggled with my MH before this. Most of this stems from the fact I've actually been socially isolated in one way or the other for most of my teen years, in fact, basically are. i've never really had friends, never had a gf etc. but i really hoped things were changing; and i've actually made a friend or two in lockdown through school friends online. but now i worry - when will i ever actually get to see these people? see my family beyond my mum dad and brother? they're sayings ome social distancing will last until a vaccine. does this mean there will be no school? will we continue to go without seeing family or a friend? i fear its becoming too much to cope, the last couple of years of my youth, and life, are being stolen from me, and whilst i am glad it is not my life, in other ways i'd rather die a free man than die a slave, cooped up in a home, not knowing what our fate will be. I have worked so hard to try and do well at school, and now it may be for nothing as i fear i won't even be able to start uni next year. i've appeared strong and content, but i'm starting to crack a litlte. i don't really like to admit it, as i want to be strong. idk though
Gillzy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi there,

So its week 5 or so into lockdown, and for the most part i've been okay. Doing everything I can to raise morale. I am not bored, and the lockdown itself does not bother me.

It's what happens next.

I've struggled with my MH before this. Most of this stems from the fact I've actually been socially isolated in one way or the other for most of my teen years, in fact, basically are. i've never really had friends, never had a gf etc. but i really hoped things were changing; and i've actually made a friend or two in lockdown through school friends online. but now i worry - when will i ever actually get to see these people? see my family beyond my mum dad and brother? they're sayings ome social distancing will last until a vaccine. does this mean there will be no school? will we continue to go without seeing family or a friend? i fear its becoming too much to cope, the last couple of years of my youth, and life, are being stolen from me, and whilst i am glad it is not my life, in other ways i'd rather die a free man than die a slave, cooped up in a home, not knowing what our fate will be. I have worked so hard to try and do well at school, and now it may be for nothing as i fear i won't even be able to start uni next year. i've appeared strong and content, but i'm starting to crack a litlte. i don't really like to admit it, as i want to be strong. idk though
Youre doing great mate it just a bit further to the finish line. We all want to get out as soon as possible, and a vaccine is currently being tested on patients in the UK. It wont be too much longer just stay strong for a month or 2 more.
JohnB1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi there. It’s ok to be struggling in these difficult times. Things will start to get easier in a few weeks as lockdown restrictions are eased. Going to uni next year is an exciting new chapter in your life. This will give you a chance to meet new people and make lots of new friends. Uni will also give you a chance to start new hobbies which are also good for your MH. Stay strong mate. Don’t be afraid to speak about MH with your family. It’s important to talk. Stay safe
Last edited by JohnB1; 5 months ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JohnB1)
Hi there. It’s ok to be struggling in these difficult times. Things will start to get easier in a few weeks as lockdown restrictions are eased. Going to uni next year is an exiting new chapter in your life. This will give you a chance to meet new people and make lots of new friends. Uni will also give you a chance to start new hobbies which are also good for your MH. Stay strong mate. Don’t be afraid to speak about MH with your family. It’s important to talk. Stay safe
i know i just feel if i do start uni we'll still have restricitons and wont be able to get close to other people etc, im more worried about what happens after lockdown than the lockdown itself
JohnB1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i know i just feel if i do start uni we'll still have restricitons and wont be able to get close to other people etc, im more worried about what happens after lockdown than the lockdown itself
I think a lot of people are worried about being released as there is still so much unknown. Personally I think that restrictions will be lifted in phases - where education sits in that I’m not sure, but would imagine it will be earlier. The social element of university is an important one. Remember that everyone will be in the same position and will probably have the same concerns as you. Don’t let the current situation change your plans. The university’s will be adapting their courses if required to ensure everyone is safe until things improve.
JohnB1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
By the way .. What are you looking to do at university?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JohnB1)
By the way .. What are you looking to do at university?
probably history and politiics or politics and something like international relations.

Not sure about uni post COVID, as on one hand it seems like a even better idea as there will be so many unemployed, on the other hand i dont want to finish uni and not get a job offer rather than doing something more stable etc, and i'm certainly not paying £9 grand to be taught online
JohnB1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
probably history and politiics or politics and something like international relations.

Not sure about uni post COVID, as on one hand it seems like a even better idea as there will be so many unemployed, on the other hand i dont want to finish uni and not get a job offer rather than doing something more stable etc, and i'm certainly not paying £9 grand to be taught online
It’s important that you do a subject that you enjoy. Try and have some sort of job in mind for when you finish your course, although I appreciate this os often difficult. I don’t blame you for not wanting to pay for online learning! I know that is happening now to help students that are currently studying, but I doubt this will continue for too long. If you are looking to start in Sep 21 then things should be pretty much back to ‘normal’ by then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.18%
I'm not sure (26)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.74%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.13%
I'm not a current university student (267)
47.34%

Watched Threads