Hannahd2003
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Data:
refractive index of air=1.00
speed of light in a vacuum=3.00×108m/s
In an experiment shining light through air into transparent wafflecheese, 𝑖=60∘ and 𝑟=16∘.
Calculate the speed of light in wafflecheese.
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Hannahd2003)
Data:
refractive index of air=1.00
speed of light in a vacuum=3.00×108m/s
In an experiment shining light through air into transparent wafflecheese, 𝑖=60∘ and 𝑟=16∘.
Calculate the speed of light in wafflecheese.

Hi, welcome to TSR.

As you are new, you may not know that students or users are expected to show their working or line of thoughts for others to guide or help you.

For this question, it is an application of “law of refraction” or Snell’s law and knowledge of refractive index as the ratio of the speed of light in different transparent medium.

Based on the following info,
refractive index of air = 1.00
𝑖=60° and
𝑟=16°.

you can find the refractive index of the transparent wafflecheese (have not seen such waffecheese before, it would be interesting to see one)

Then use the “definition” of refractive index of transparent wafflecheese as the ratio of speed of light in vacuum to transparent wafflecheese transparent wafflecheese to compute the speed of light in transparent wafflecheese.

Note that there are some implicit assumption where the refractive index of air is 1.00 and the speed of light in air is also 3.00×108 m/s.

You can find more info and explanation below:
https://isaacphysics.org/concepts/cp...and_refraction
Hannahd2003
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Eimmanuel)
Hi, welcome to TSR.

As you are new, you may not know that students or users are expected to show their working or line of thoughts for others to guide or help you.

For this question, it is an application of “law of refraction” or Snell’s law and knowledge of refractive index as the ratio of the speed of light in different transparent medium.

Based on the following info,
refractive index of air = 1.00
𝑖=60° and
𝑟=16°.

you can find the refractive index of the transparent wafflecheese (have not seen such waffecheese before, it would be interesting to see one)

Then use the “definition” of refractive index of transparent wafflecheese as the ratio of speed of light in vacuum to transparent wafflecheese transparent wafflecheese to compute the speed of light in transparent wafflecheese.

Note that there are some implicit assumption where the refractive index of air is 1.00 and the speed of light in air is also 3.00×108 m/s.

You can find more info and explanation below:
https://isaacphysics.org/concepts/cp...and_refraction
That's really helpful, thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads