Siham_09
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I’m choosing my A-levels and I’m unsure about whether I should do Maths , Chemistry and Biology by themselves or if I should do a 4th a-level and add phycology as that’s something I’m also very interested in. I’m just a bit worried about doing phycology and maths Chem and biology are apparently very hard and I’m not too good at English so I don’t know if the psychology exam is writing heavy
Ellieknowles02
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I did maths and psychology at alevel psychology is quite writing based but depending on your exam board its not to bad for example i did OCR psychology and we had a multiple choice section but i know AQA has more high mark long styled questions. I wouldn’t advise 4 alevels as 3 are already a big commitment and uni only looks at your top 3 so its better to focus attention on fewer if you wanted 4 maybe consider further maths as then even if you decide to drop it it will have still helped you with your maths alevel as if you drop any others after a year it doesnt count towards anything as AS no longer exists
hope this helps xx
TheOnlyIzzy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The psychology alevel exams have a range of questions from 1 mark up to 16 (but only a max of two of these each exam). If you want an idea, go on the aqa site and look up a past paper.

I would strongly recommend against doing 4 alevels. No uni ever asks for 4, statistically people do much worse than 3 alevels and AAA looks a lot better than AABB.

It depends on what you want to do. Psychology and biology complement each other very well (especially if you go to study it at uni like I did). If you’re not interested in the subject you WILL NOT do well (you won’t have the motivation or mental strength to study the subject to the extent you need to to do well). Chemistry and maths complement each other well, however they are both VERY difficult and a huge step up from GCSE. If you didn’t get an A in chemistry GCSE don’t do it, and if you didn’t get an A* at maths GCSE don’t do it at alevel. (This was the guidance our school gave us based on statistics from previous years, and having done both myself at alevel and subsequently dropped them for being too difficult I agree. I got an A at maths GCSE and alevel was still impossible).
username5042652
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I started year 12 doing bio, Chem, maths, and psychology. I dropped psychology after Christmas as it was my least favourite and the workload was a lot. It requires a lot more work than the other three due to lots of practise essays and lots of random dates and case studies to memorise. I’d say you can always do an EPQ in psychology, as it shows your interest, you can learn about the units you want, and it gives you more time to work on your other a levels.
Kxtiexo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Siham_09)
I’m choosing my A-levels and I’m unsure about whether I should do Maths , Chemistry and Biology by themselves or if I should do a 4th a-level and add phycology as that’s something I’m also very interested in. I’m just a bit worried about doing phycology and maths Chem and biology are apparently very hard and I’m not too good at English so I don’t know if the psychology exam is writing heavy
I'd say it definitely depends on what you want to do at uni & then see which subject best compliments that. For ALevels I'm going to be doing biology, chemistry, psychology & English Lit. The 6th form that I'm going to requires you to do 4 subjects for at least the first year. So in year 13 I'm going to drop English. & At uni I want to either do medicine or psychology so I'd definitely think about what you want to do at uni.
Also I'd recommend looking up past papers & what topics you learn about in psychology so you get a better feel of it to see if you're definitely interested.
Good luck! xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (55)
36.18%
No (80)
52.63%
I don't know (17)
11.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise