The Student Room Group

University - should I message the dean.

Hi guys, I need some very important and crucial advice.

I had transferred from second year of university to another uni. In my final year, I was diagnosed with a medical Illness that has affected me MASSIVELY. Physically first, which in effects my mental health.

This has caused me to massively drop my work ethic, including submitting some work late. Being a student who has always aimed for a first class - that is literally my dream. There are days I get so upset about it!

I know people can say it’s just a result, relax. All of this, I know myself but there’s that wanting in me and because of the medical issue that has came up out of no where, my chances seem so extremely low.

Moreover, because of COVID19, the help and support given by university teachers has massively dropped so overall I’m sure you get the picture.

Now I’m thinking what if I message the main dean of my uni, explaining my situation
and asking if there’s anything she can do at all. I can’t even use my 2nd year grades to equal it as I transferred uni. But I’m thinking of saying things like I’ve gone to her because I know she’s in the highest authority so surely you will be able to help me in some way? ...

What do you guys think? Really need advice on this. I see it as, I’ve basically got nothing to loose? But I can’t allow this medical issue to get in the way of my goal.

Thanks guy, if possible give me ideas on what I could say to her as well please.
☺️☺️
Hi guys, I need some very important and crucial advice.

I had transferred from second year of university to another uni. In my final year, I was diagnosed with a medical Illness that has affected me MASSIVELY. Physically first, which in effects my mental health.

This has caused me to massively drop my work ethic, including submitting some work late. Being a student who has always aimed for a first class - that is literally my dream. There are days I get so upset about it!

I know people can say it’s just a result, relax. All of this, I know myself but there’s that wanting in me and because of the medical issue that has came up out of no where, my chances seem so extremely low.

Moreover, because of COVID19, the help and support given by university teachers has massively dropped so overall I’m sure you get the picture.

Now I’m thinking what if I message the main dean of my uni, explaining my situation and asking if there’s anything she can do at all. I can’t even use my 2nd year grades to equal it as I transferred uni. But I’m thinking of saying things like I’ve gone to her because I know she’s in the highest authority so surely you will be able to help me in some way? ...

What do you guys think? Really need advice on this. I see it as, I’ve basically got nothing to loose? But I can’t allow this medical issue to get in the way of my goal.

Thanks guy, if possible give me ideas on what I could say to her as well please.
☺️☺️
You can’t simply message the head of your entire university, that’s being stupid. They would be much too busy to reply to the needy requirements of one student. You should contact your personal tutor or your department instead.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
You can’t simply message the head of your entire university, that’s being stupid. They would be much too busy to reply to the needy requirements of one student. You should contact your personal tutor or your department instead.

Trust me I know. My personal tutor already knows the situation but his reply is these are the rules of the uni blah blah. Perhaps department head yes. I mean I’m going to be honest here, you know when you hear stories about someone contacting someone big and the big person ends up replying? Isn’t that a leap of faith? Yes that’s a extremely high chance of looking stupid but that’s the length your willing to take?
A Dean isn't just going to start looking into an issue that hasn't followed the normal complaints procedure first. The normal order of things would be:

- contact the head of your academic department AND the students union
- if that goes nowhere, make a formal complaint following guidance from the SU
Yeah you need to follow the normal complaints procedure.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
A Dean isn't just going to start looking into an issue that hasn't followed the normal complaints procedure first. The normal order of things would be:

- contact the head of your academic department AND the students union
- if that goes nowhere, make a formal complaint following guidance from the SU

Okay brilliant. Thank you.
My mind is so frazzled I can’t even think straight. But thank you to who ever helped
Original post by Xxlisxx
Okay brilliant. Thank you.
My mind is so frazzled I can’t even think straight. But thank you to who ever helped

No problem. The students union is independent and should be able to give you impartial advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending